How did S-Matrix theory affect the birth of String Theory?

In summary, the S-Matrix of Heisenberg and others played a crucial role in the development of String Theory by providing a way to translate it into a language that is compatible with Quantum Field Theory. This allowed for indirect proof of its connection to reality and helped establish it as a legitimate field of study. However, this process is still ongoing and some aspects of String Theory, such as Ed Witten's M Theory, have yet to be successfully translated. The difficulties in this translation were highlighted at the 2013 Utrecht Convention.
Ted Baas
Can somebody please explain to me how the S-Matrix of Heisenberg and others helped influence the birth of String Theory. I keep hearing people say that String Theory came as a result of S-Matrix but I don't see the connection. Please keep maths to a minimal. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I remember it came from QCD, and from a problem in Feynman diagrams in QCD.

You can watch Leonard Susskind lecture on String theory on youtube. (the maths is truly minimal there, so much that I stopped watching midway through the series; I prefer to lay on me the maths, I am not afraid... :-D).

MathematicalPhysicist said:
As far as I remember it came from QCD, and from a problem in Feynman diagrams in QCD.

You can watch Leonard Susskind lecture on String theory on youtube. (the maths is truly minimal there, so much that I stopped watching midway through the series; I prefer to lay on me the maths, I am not afraid... :-D).

I would say, that the S Matrix is helping to downgrade Stringtheory into a kommensurable language for QFT. This was the first sign of success to prove that String theory has something to do with reality. Kind of indirect prove that String theory is not only any imaginary mindblow. All stringtheorists are now looking to "translate" Stringtheory into a QT like mathematical language, so that it can be proved indirectly. But as far as I know it is only successfull in 3 of 5 String Theorys. And for the Ed Wittens M Theory it isn't successfull yet.
In Utrecht 2013 we saw that this is not easy and will take much more time than we thought. Here you can get an insight into the Convention in Utrecht 2013
http://testweb.science.uu.nl/IGST13/

Related to How did S-Matrix theory affect the birth of String Theory?

1. How did S-Matrix theory lead to the development of String Theory?

S-Matrix theory, which describes the interactions between particles, provided a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at high energies. This led to the realization that the equations of S-Matrix theory could be applied to one-dimensional objects, known as strings, instead of just point particles. This was the beginning of String Theory.

2. What are the key concepts of S-Matrix theory that influenced String Theory?

The key concepts of S-Matrix theory that influenced String Theory include the idea of particles as extended objects, the concept of duality, and the use of symmetries to describe interactions between particles. These ideas were crucial in the development of String Theory as they provided the foundation for understanding the behavior of strings.

3. How did the study of S-Matrix theory help to solve problems in particle physics?

S-Matrix theory helped to solve problems in particle physics by providing a unified framework for understanding the interactions of particles at high energies. This allowed for the development of techniques and mathematical tools that were later applied to String Theory, leading to breakthroughs in our understanding of the fundamental nature of particles and the universe.

4. What are the limitations of S-Matrix theory that led to the development of String Theory?

S-Matrix theory had limitations in its ability to describe the behavior of particles at extremely high energies. It also could not fully account for the nature of fundamental forces, such as gravity. These limitations led physicists to explore alternative theories, such as String Theory, which could potentially overcome these challenges.

5. How did the incorporation of S-Matrix theory into String Theory revolutionize our understanding of the universe?

The incorporation of S-Matrix theory into String Theory allowed for a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It also provided a way to reconcile quantum mechanics with general relativity, leading to potential explanations for some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of black holes and the origin of the universe.