How did LIGO estimate the distance of the black holes?

In summary, the masses and distance of the binary merging black holes system were inferred from the observed signal. The signal could have been produced by two black holes that are closer to us but have smaller masses, but the masses and distance were inferred using a different technique than what is usually used.
JK423
Gold Member
As we all know, the LIGO collaboration published a paper recently on the first direct observation of a binary merging black hole system. From the observed signal, they were able to infer the black holes' masses and their distance from Earth.

However, the fact that they can estimate masses and distance is completely non-intuitive to me. To my mind, the same signal could have been produced by two black holes that are much closer to us but have smaller masses.
What is it that singles out the particular black hole configuration they reported? Does anyone have any intuition on that?

Physics news on Phys.org
The masses are inferred from the frequency of the wave and how it changes, the distance is inferred from the amplitude.

Likes JK423
That makes sense! Thanks a lot

Orodruin said:
The masses are inferred from the frequency of the wave and how it changes, the distance is inferred from the amplitude.
Do you know the specific formula they were using to count the distance. I am in high school and the physics course that i am having has only given me the basic equation of Waves, which is velocity = Hz x wavelength.

See https://dcc.ligo.org/public/0122/P150914/014/LIGO-P150914_Detection_of_GW150914.pdf

I'm not sure if they used a numerical simulation to get the "Keplerian effective black hole separation" or whether they just deduced that from the frequency of the chirp using Newton's laws. It sounds like it might be the later, but it wasn't too clear to me from reading the paper. There is a formula in the paper for the mass calculation of the pair, though. What's calculated is called the "chirp mass".

Let me expand my previous response in a bit more detail. Kepler's law is:

$$T^2 = \frac{4 \pi^2}{GM} a^3$$

where T is the orbital period, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass (for a two body Newtonian system, the total mass) and a is the separation. So basically I'm assuming that when they calculate the ""Keplerian effective black hole separation", they are using Kepler's law to do it, just from the name they used. To calculate a, they would need T and M. The former they can get from 1/f, f being the frequency of the chirp, and they can estimate M from ##\mathscr{M}##, the chirp mass. I should add that ##\mathscr{M}## is new to me, but they do give an explanation and a literature reference in the paper describing it's calculation.

Likes Inwicta
pervect said:
Let me expand my previous response in a bit more detail. Kepler's law is:

$$T^2 = \frac{4 \pi^2}{GM} a^3$$

where T is the orbital period, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass (for a two body Newtonian system, the total mass) and a is the separation. So basically I'm assuming that when they calculate the ""Keplerian effective black hole separation", they are using Kepler's law to do it, just from the name they used. To calculate a, they would need T and M. The former they can get from 1/f, f being the frequency of the chirp, and they can estimate M from ##\mathscr{M}##, the chirp mass. I should add that ##\mathscr{M}## is new to me, but they do give an explanation and a literature reference in the paper describing it's calculation.
Thank you!

Related to How did LIGO estimate the distance of the black holes?

1. How does LIGO measure the distance of black holes?

LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory) uses a method called "gravitational wave interferometry" to measure the distance of black holes. This involves using two detectors, each with two perpendicular arms, to measure the interference patterns of gravitational waves. By analyzing the differences in these patterns between the two detectors, the distance of the black holes can be estimated.

2. What is the accuracy of LIGO's distance measurements?

LIGO's distance measurements have an accuracy of within 1% for events detected with high signal-to-noise ratios. For weaker signals, the accuracy may be lower but can still provide valuable information about the distance of the black holes.

3. How do LIGO's distance measurements compare to other methods?

LIGO's distance measurements are currently the most accurate method for measuring the distance of black holes. Other methods, such as using the redshift of light from the black holes, can also provide estimates but may have larger uncertainties.

4. Can LIGO measure the distance of black holes in real time?

Yes, LIGO is able to measure the distance of black holes in real time. However, the distance estimates may not be as accurate for weaker signals and may require further analysis after the event has been detected.

5. How does LIGO's distance measurements contribute to our understanding of black holes?

LIGO's distance measurements provide valuable information about the properties of black holes, such as their mass and location. By studying the distances of black holes, scientists can better understand their formation and evolution, as well as their role in the universe. Additionally, LIGO's distance measurements can help test and refine theories about gravity and the nature of spacetime.