How Did Engineers Construct Submerged Tunnels Like BART's?

In summary, engineers are able to build tunnels submerged 100 ft under water by drilling through bedrock and reinforcing the tunnel with concrete sections. Alternatively, they can prebuild the tunnel and submerge it under water using gravel and rock for support. This method has been successfully used by BART, the Bay Area Rapid Transportation system in California.
CrossFit415
How did engineers manage to build tunnels submerged 100 ft under water without having tunnels collapsing? Say for example, BART, has trains going through these tunnels daily. How did engineers build water tunnels?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well my guess would be similar to how they build a submarine and not have it collapse.

I'm not sure what BART is, but most tunnels are drilled through bedrock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_boring_machine) with concrete sections inserted in an arch arrangement to act as reinforcement for the tunnel.

The basics being you simply create a tunnel which is strong enough to withstand the required pressure.

If the tunnel was not drilled, you could create sections and lower them to the bottom of the water and once completed (and as such waterproof) you could simply pump the water out to leave you with a tunnel.

I see thanks. Oh BART stands for Bay Area Rapid Transportation located here in Bay Area, California

CrossFit415 said:
I see thanks. Oh BART stands for Bay Area Rapid Transportation located here in Bay Area, California

Yes, I did a bit of Googling to see if they showed whether it was above the bottom of the water or below in bedrock. Apparently not so I can't be more specific in the reply.

I did research and engineers prebuilt the tunnel to be submerged under water after completion. By using gravel and rock its holding down the tunnels.

I just thought I found this facsinating. Very interesting to see what we can design. We can design anything we see.. incredible.

Related to How Did Engineers Construct Submerged Tunnels Like BART's?

What is the purpose of building submerged tunnels for BART?

The purpose of building submerged tunnels for BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) is to provide a safe and efficient mode of transportation for commuters in the San Francisco Bay Area. These tunnels allow trains to travel underwater, avoiding traffic and reducing travel time between cities.

How are the tunnels constructed?

The tunnels are constructed using a technique called immersed tube method, where large pre-made concrete segments are transported by barge and lowered into a trench dug on the sea floor. The segments are then connected together to form a tunnel.

What are the challenges of engineering submerged tunnels?

Some of the challenges of engineering submerged tunnels include managing the water pressure and buoyancy forces, ensuring water-tightness, and mitigating risks associated with construction in a marine environment. Additionally, the location and geology of the sea floor must be carefully considered to ensure stability and durability of the tunnels.

What safety measures are taken during construction?

Safety is a top priority during the construction of submerged tunnels. Specialized equipment and techniques are used to ensure the safety of workers, such as pressurized chambers for working underwater. The tunnels are also designed to withstand extreme weather conditions and potential seismic events.

What are the benefits of submerged tunnels for BART?

Submerged tunnels offer numerous benefits for BART, including reducing travel time, improving transportation efficiency, and reducing congestion and air pollution. They also provide a more reliable and weather-resistant mode of transportation compared to surface-level options.