How Can You Solve for x in Complex Elastic Collision Equations?

• B
  • Thread starter luckis11
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation for x in a complicated quartic equation involving elastic collision of unequal masses under an angle of impact. The conversation also mentions using complex numbers to solve the equation.
luckis11
Poster has been reminded to use LaTeX to post math equations on PF.
(Tsinα)^2+(u+Tcosα)^2=((1+μ/m)((μu^2-μx^2-m((u-x)m/μ)^2)/(μ+μ^2/m))^0.5+Tsinα)^2+(Tcosα+(u-x)μ/m-x)^2

Can you isolate x? I.e. x=...
It's for elastic collision of unequal masses under angle of impact α.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You haven't used LaTeX so your equation is very difficult to read, but it looks like a rather messy quartic.

You've flagged this as A level, meaning that you have postgraduate knowledge of the topic. Is that correct?

Likes berkeman
luckis11 said:
https://www.symbolab.com/

Oh, wait, there is a square root in there somewhere... You make us work for it ;) But I would start to clean things up a bit by collecting all terms of x, then collect all terms not containing an 'x' and give it some other name. Then it is much easier to read.

Likes berkeman
$$(Tsinα)^2+(u+Tcosα)^2=\left((1+μ/m)\left(\frac{μu^2-μx^2-m((u-x)m/μ)^2}{μ+μ^2/m}\right)^{0.5}+Tsinα\right)^2+(Tcosα+(u-x)μ/m-x)^2$$
Like this?

Combine random constants:
$$a=\left(b\left(f+gx^2+hx\right)^{0.5}+c\right)^2+(d+ex)^2$$
You can expand the first square, then isolate the square root, square the whole equation, and you get a quartic equation, which has a closed solution but it's really awkward.

I isolated the square root so got rid of it by squaring both sides of the equation, but I got (28 factors)^2=27+26+...+1 factors. So it's helpless.

I don't think you mean factors (or helpless). I think you mean terms.

Anyway, " (28 factors)^2=27+26+...+1 factors " doesn't have an x in it, so we don't know where you are. It does not look like you followed mfb's path.

Continuing with @mfb's equation. If I haven't made a mistake:

$$
\left[ \left(\sqrt{a - (d+ex)^2} - c\right)/b \right]^2 = f + gx^2 + hx
$$

then

$$
\left(a - (d+ex)^2 + c^2 - 2c \sqrt{ a - (d+ex)^2}\right)/b^2 = f + gx^2 + hx
$$

Expanding the terms in the square root will leave a ##\sqrt{x}## term. So it is not a quartic... I wouldn't know how to solve this.

Bring everything except the square root onto the right hand side, then square. You will hAve a quartic.

Last edited:
Likes Arjan82
Oh, whoops, you are right :). I wasn't paying attention. I thought my second equation already had powers of four in x. (that happens when you are doing things simultaneously...)

luckis11 said:
(Tsinα)^2+(u+Tcosα)^2=((1+μ/m)((μu^2-μx^2-m((u-x)m/μ)^2)/(μ+μ^2/m))^0.5+Tsinα)^2+(Tcosα+(u-x)μ/m-x)^2

In case you simply want an expresson to work with, you can solve for x in Mathematica easily:

Mathematica:
In[15]:= mySol[a_, d_, e_, c_, b_, f_, g_, h_] =
  x /. Solve[(a - (d + e x)^2 + c^2 -
        2 c Sqrt[a - (d + e x)^2])/(b^2) == f + g x^2 + h x, x];
mySol[1, 2, 3 + I, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8] // N

Out[16]= {-0.61495 - 0.545281 I, -0.559976 + 0.594679 I, -0.577998 +
  0.710359 I, -0.56296 - 0.727542 I}

I do not know this, what am I supposed to do with
{-0.61495 - 0.545281 I, -0.559976 + 0.594679 I, -0.577998 +
0.710359 I, -0.56296 - 0.727542 I}

I don't think that explicit solution is too relevant since it seems that for the chosen values of a to h all solutions have an imaginary part.

But if you want a solution then you have to do some of the work yourself. Start with the equation in post #9 and apply the hint in post #10. Then you'll have your quartic and can solve it using the equation in the wiki link in post #4.

Ι told you I "solved" it but it has >27+26+...+1 terms. I don't see how imaginary numbers can help, can they? However, I do not have the equation of the op any more, I deleted it. I hope it's the same as the one I have now.

Ibix said:
You've flagged this as A level, meaning that you have postgraduate knowledge of the topic. Is that correct?
I moved the thread from the calculus forum to general math and reclassified it as level B as it's just a complicated algebra problem.

The answer with imaginary numbers aheight mentioned is top level my friend.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
luckis11 said:
The answer with imaginary numbers aheight mentioned is top level my friend.
The fact that a solution you found involves complex numbers does not make this question a "top level" (i.e., A = post grad) type of problem.

Likes berkeman, Vanadium 50 and jim mcnamara
So what's the solution with complex numbers.

The same as it was in messages 12, 13, 15, 17 and 18.

Likes berkeman
luckis11 said:
So what's the solution with complex numbers.
It's impossible to say since you didn't define what any of the quantities are. But if you were expecting a real root, a complex result usually means the equation you started with is wrong.

luckis11 said:

Yes.

Don't bother, I solved it. Not exactly that equation, but a similar I have now.

Related to How Can You Solve for x in Complex Elastic Collision Equations?

1. Can you isolate a specific gene?

Yes, it is possible to isolate a specific gene using techniques such as polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or gene cloning. These methods allow scientists to amplify and extract a specific gene from a larger DNA sample.

2. Can you isolate a specific protein?

Yes, it is possible to isolate a specific protein using techniques such as chromatography or electrophoresis. These methods separate proteins based on their size, charge, or other properties, allowing scientists to isolate a specific protein from a mixture.

3. Can you isolate a specific virus?

Yes, it is possible to isolate a specific virus using techniques such as cell culture or viral purification. These methods allow scientists to grow and isolate a specific virus from a sample, which can then be studied and analyzed.

4. Can you isolate a specific bacteria?

Yes, it is possible to isolate a specific bacteria using techniques such as streak plating or selective media. These methods allow scientists to isolate and grow a specific type of bacteria from a mixed sample, which can then be studied and identified.

5. Can you isolate a specific chemical compound?

Yes, it is possible to isolate a specific chemical compound using techniques such as extraction or distillation. These methods separate and purify chemical compounds from a mixture, allowing scientists to isolate and study a specific compound of interest.