How Can You Simplify a 3x3 Matrix Determinant with Variables a and b?

In summary: ZXJ0LCB0aGlzIHN1bW1hcnkgb2YgY29udGVudCBwcm9ibGVtLCB3ZSBhbHZhIHRoZSBwcm9ibGVtLCBpcyBsaW5lYXIgaW4gYSBhbiBiYWQgYWZ0ZXJpYWxzLg==In summary, the problem involves reducing a 3x3 matrix determinant to row echelon form with linear leading diagonal elements in terms of a and b. The solution involves converting to row echelon form using r3-ar2, r2-ar1, and r3-br2, but this results in
Koranzite

Homework Statement

I've attached the problem, it involves reducing a 3x3 matrix determinant to row echelon form, but the leading diagonal elements have to be linear in a and b afterwards.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to convert it to row echelon form by: r3-ar2 ; r2-ar1 ; r3-br2
The problem is that this leaves a diagonal element having cubic terms. Can anyone see a way to acomplish this? Should be an easy problem, but I've spent over an hour trying different combinations.

Attachments

• matrix question.PNG
    matrix question.PNG
    6.3 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend just computing the determinant and doing some simple algebra to factor the resulting expression.

AKG said:
I recommend just computing the determinant and doing some simple algebra to factor the resulting expression.

I also tried that, to no avail.

Koranzite said:
I also tried that, to no avail.

The factorization is not immediately obvious, but what finally worked for me was to look at the determinant for two different numerical values of a (namely, a = 0 and a = 1) and in each case to factor the resulting polynomial in b. Some factors are the same for both values of a, and some others differ in such a way that you can easily figure out what they are as functions of a. You end up with a factorization exactly of the required type.

RGV

Related to How Can You Simplify a 3x3 Matrix Determinant with Variables a and b?

1. What is the purpose of reducing a matrix determinant?

The purpose of reducing a matrix determinant is to simplify the calculation of the determinant, which is a numerical value that represents certain properties of the matrix. By reducing the matrix, we can make the calculation of the determinant more efficient and easier to understand.

2. How do you reduce a matrix determinant?

To reduce a matrix determinant, we use elementary row operations such as multiplying a row by a constant, swapping rows, or adding a multiple of one row to another. These operations do not change the value of the determinant, but they can make the calculation easier.

3. Can reducing a matrix determinant change its value?

No, reducing a matrix determinant does not change its value. The value of the determinant remains the same regardless of the elementary row operations used to reduce the matrix.

4. What are the benefits of reducing a matrix determinant?

Reducing a matrix determinant can make the calculation more efficient and easier to understand. It can also help us to identify patterns and relationships within the matrix that may not be apparent in its original form.

5. Are there any limitations to reducing a matrix determinant?

Yes, there are limitations to reducing a matrix determinant. Not all matrices can be reduced, and even when they can, the reduction may not result in a simpler calculation. In some cases, reducing the matrix may actually make the calculation more complex.