How can we show that a has a left inverse?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a set of non-invertible elements in a ring forms an ideal, and that this implies that the ring is local. The conversation also includes a proof of this result and a discussion of the uniqueness of the maximal right ideal in the ring.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $R$ be a ring and $I$ the set of non-invertible elements of $R$.

If $(I,+)$ is an additive subgroup of $(R,+)$, then show that $I$ is an ideal of $R$ and so $R$ is local. I have done the following:

Let $a\in I$ and $r\in R$.
We suppose that $ar$ is invertible, then $$1=(ar)(ar)^{-1}\Rightarrow 1=a(r(ar)^{-1})$$ That means that $a$ has a right inverse.
Now it is left show that $a$ has also a left inverse. That would mean that $a$ is invertible, a contradiction.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

But how exactly can we show that $a$ has also a left inverse? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good so far, and yes, if $a$ has both a left and right inverse, it is invertible (proof: if $ax = 1$ and $ya = 1$ for some $x,y\in R$, then $x = (ya)x = y(ax) = y$; therefore, $a$ is invertible). To see that $a$ has a right inverse, let $c = (ar)^{-1}$. Since $a\in I$ and $1\notin I$, then $1 - a\notin I$; otherwise, by closure of $I$ under addition, $1 = (1 - a) + a\in I$, a contradiction. So using the equation $arc = 1$, we have $1 - a = arc - a = a(rc - 1)$; thus $a(rc - 1)\notin I$, i.e., $a(rc - 1)$ is invertible. There exists $b\in R$ such that $a(rc-1)b = 1$. This shows that $a$ is right-invertible with $(rc-1)b$ as a right inverse.

Euge said:
It looks good so far, and yes, if $a$ has both a left and right inverse, it is invertible (proof: if $ax = 1$ and $ya = 1$ for some $x,y\in R$, then $x = (ya)x = y(ax) = y$; therefore, $a$ is invertible). To see that $a$ has a right inverse, let $c = (ar)^{-1}$. Since $a\in I$ and $1\notin I$, then $1 - a\notin I$; otherwise, by closure of $I$ under addition, $1 = (1 - a) + a\in I$, a contradiction. So using the equation $arc = 1$, we have $1 - a = arc - a = a(rc - 1)$; thus $a(rc - 1)\notin I$, i.e., $a(rc - 1)$ is invertible. There exists $b\in R$ such that $a(rc-1)b = 1$. This shows that $a$ is right-invertible with $(rc-1)b$ as a right inverse.

I see... (Smile)

But how could we show that $a$ has also a left inverse? (Wondering)
Which $c$ do we take? (Wondering)

So sorry, I definitely need more rest. : ) I was thinking of left inverse bit instead did the right inverse in a roundabout way. I'll come back later.

Edit: So, let's try this again. We suppose $a\in I$ and $r\in R$ such that $ar\notin I$ and obtain a contradiction. Keep in mind the following fact: If $x\in I$ and $y\notin I$, then $x + y\notin I$. This is true, for otherwise $x + y\in I$ and closure under subtraction in $I$ would give $y = (x + y) - x\in I$, contrary to assumption.

If $r\notin I$, then $r^{-1}$ exists and $a = (ar)r^{-1}\notin I$, contrary to the assumption that $a\in I$. If $r\in I$, then since $ar\notin I$, $r + ar \notin I$, i.e., $(1 + a)r\in I$; also, $1 + a\notin I$ since $1\notin I$ and $a\in I$. So $(1 + a)^{-1}$ exists and $r = (1+a)^{-1}[(1 + a)r]\notin I$, a contradiction. Hence, $ar\in I$.

Last edited:
Euge said:
If $r\in I$, then since $ar\notin I$, $r + ar \notin I$, i.e., $r(1 + a)\in I$; also, $1 + a\notin I$ since $1\notin I$ and $a\in I$. So $(1 + a)^{-1}$ exists and $r = [r(1 + a)](1 + a)^{-1}\notin I$, a contradiction.

When $r + ar \notin I$ doesn't it follow that $(1 + a)r\notin I$ ? (Wondering)

Then we have that $r =(1 + a)^{-1} [(1 + a)r]\notin I$, right? (Wondering)

We get that $(1 + a)^{-1} [(1 + a)r]\notin I$, because both of the terms $(1 + a)^{-1}$ and $(1 + a)r$ don't belong to $I$, right? (Wondering) So, we have that $ar\in I$. It is left to show also that $ra\in I$, or not? (Wondering)

We do that as follows:

We suppose that $ra\notin I$.

If $r\notin I$, then $r^{-1}$ exists and $a = r^{-1}(ra)\notin I$, a contradiction, since $a\in I$.

If $r\in I$, then since $ra\notin I$, $r + ar \notin I \Rightarrow r(1 + a)\notin I$.
Since $1\notin I$ and $a\in I$ we have that $1 + a\notin I$.
So $(1 + a)^{-1}$ exists and $r = [r(1 + a)](1 + a)^{-1}\notin I$, a contradiction, since $r\in I$.

Therefore, $ra\in I$. So, we conclude that $I$ is an ideal. Is $I$ the unique maximal right ideal of $R$ ? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your first three questions - yes, yes, and yes. I made the correction. But in your argument that followed, the part $r + ar \notin I$ should be replaced by $r + ra\notin I$. Otherwise your proof is correct.

To answer your last question, the answer is yes. Note that you have just proved that $I$ is a two-sided ideal, not just a right ideal.

Suppose we pick $R = \{ \mathbb R^\infty \to \mathbb R^\infty \}$ with regular addition and function composition.
Then I think that is a ring. (Thinking)

Let $I$ be the non-invertible elements of $R$ and suppose that $I$ is an ideal.
Let $a: (x_1, x_2, ...) \mapsto (x_2, ...)$ and $b: (x_1, x_2, ...) \mapsto (0, x_1, x_2, ...)$.
Then neither is both left and right invertible, so $a, b \in I$.
But $ab=1$, so we found for $r=b$ that $ar \notin I$, which is a contradiction.
(For the record, $a$ is right invertible but not left invertible. (Nerd))

Therefore $I$ is not an ideal. (Worried)

Euge said:
But in your argument that followed, the part $r + ar \notin I$ should be replaced by $r + ra\notin I$. Otherwise your proof is correct.

Ah ok... (Smile)
Euge said:
To answer your last question, the answer is yes. Note that you have just proved that $I$ is a two-sided ideal, not just a right ideal.
Is $I$ the unique maximal right ideal of $R$ because of the following:

Suppose that $J$ is a proper ideal.
It must hold that $1\notin J$, because otherwise $J=R$.
Therefore, $J$ must contain non-ivertible elements.
So, it must be $J\subset I$, since $I$ contains all the non-invertible elements.

Does this imply that $I$ is the unique maximal right ideal of $R$ ? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Let $a: (x_1, x_2, ...) \mapsto (x_2, ...)$ and $b: (x_1, x_2, ...) \mapsto (0, x_1, x_2, ...)$.

Why do we have that $a, b \in I$ and why do we have that $ab=1$ ? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Suppose we pick $R = \{ \mathbb R^\infty \to \mathbb R^\infty \}$ with regular addition and function composition.
Then I think that is a ring. (Thinking)

Let $I$ be the non-invertible elements of $R$ and suppose that $I$ is an ideal.
(For the record, $a$ is right invertible but not left invertible. (Nerd))

Therefore $I$ is not an ideal. (Worried)

Is this supposed to be a counterexample to the problem? It does not contradict the original statement because $(I,+)$ is not an additive subgroup of $(R,+)$. The identity mapping, which is invertible, is the sum of two noninvertible functions : $c : (x_1,x_2,\ldots)\mapsto (x_1,0,0,0,\ldots)$ and $d : (x_1,x_2,\ldots)\mapsto (0,x_2,x_3,\ldots)$.

mathmari said:
Is $I$ the unique maximal right ideal of $R$ because of the following:

Suppose that $J$ is a proper ideal.
It must hold that $1\notin J$, because otherwise $J=R$.
Therefore, $J$ must contain non-ivertible elements.
So, it must be $J\subset I$, since $I$ contains all the non-invertible elements.

Does this imply that $I$ is the unique maximal right ideal of $R$ ? (Wondering)

Yes, it looks good. Since no proper ideal of $R$ contains a unit, $I$ contains every proper ideal. In particular, every maximal right ideal is contained in $I$, so $I$ is the unique maximal right ideal.

mathmari said:
Why do we have that $a, b \in I$ and why do we have that $ab=1$ ? (Wondering)

$a$ is not left invertible, because whichever function we apply next, we can never recover $x_1$.
So $a$ is not invertible and thus $a \in I$.

Similarly, whichever function we apply first before applying $b$, the result has a first entry that is always $0$ and can never be $x_1$ anymore. So $b$ is not right invertible and so $b\in I$.

$(a\circ b)(x_1, x_2, ...) = a(0, x_1, x_2, ...) = (x_1, x_2, ...)$
So $ab = 1$.

Euge said:
Is this supposed to be a counterexample to the problem? It does not contradict the original statement because $(I,+)$ is not an additive subgroup of $(R,+)$. The identity mapping, which is invertible, is the sum of two noninvertible functions : $c : (x_1,x_2,\ldots)\mapsto (x_1,0,0,0,\ldots)$ and $d : (x_1,x_2,\ldots)\mapsto (0,x_2,x_3,\ldots)$.

Yes. I came up with it before I read your edited response with a full-proof proof.
Anyway, that explains it - I forgot to check if $I$ is an additive subgroup. (Tmi)

I see... (Smile)

Thank you very much! (Yes)

Related to How can we show that a has a left inverse?

1. How do we prove that a has a left inverse?

To prove that a has a left inverse, we need to show that there exists another element b such that a * b = identity element. This can be done through algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning.

2. What is a left inverse?

A left inverse is an element that, when multiplied with another element, results in the identity element. In simpler terms, it is the "opposite" of an element in terms of multiplication.

3. Why is it important to show that a has a left inverse?

Showing that a has a left inverse is important because it ensures that a can be "undone" through multiplication with another element. This is crucial in mathematical operations and proofs.

4. Can every element have a left inverse?

No, not every element has a left inverse. For example, 0 does not have a left inverse because any number multiplied by 0 will result in 0, not the identity element.

5. What is the difference between a left inverse and a right inverse?

The main difference between a left inverse and a right inverse is the position of the element in relation to the other element in the multiplication. A left inverse is on the left side, while a right inverse is on the right side. Additionally, a left inverse will cancel out an element when multiplied on the left, while a right inverse will cancel out an element when multiplied on the right.