How can the required force be calculated for pushing a block up an incline?

In summary, the question involves finding the force needed to push a block up a ramp given its weight, height, and length. The equation used is net force = mass * acceleration, and the book provides the answer of 9800N. The poster attempts to find the solution by using the block's weight and the slope of the ramp, and also considers the acceleration due to gravity (g=9.8m/s^2). However, they are unsure about the correct acceleration value and why the book's answer is not rounded to 10,000N.
henlet

Homework Statement

as a new physics student, I'm not sure how to derive the formula i need to answer this question.

there's a ramp that rises 1m in height and 20m in length. a block weighing 20,000kg needs to be pushed up it. (yup, we're building the pyramids). how much force is needed to push the block up the ramp?

Homework Equations

so i know that net force = mass * acceleration.
i also think that the net force downhill along this ramp is 1m/20m or .05% of the block's weight, which is 1000kg.
the book tells me the answer is 9800N.

The Attempt at a Solution

9800 N = 20,000kg * acceleration
where N = kgm/s2
acceleration = .49 m/s2, but why? and i suppose the book is rounding in some way to come up with 9800 N instead of 10,000?

Physics news on Phys.org
9.8*.05.your answer is 1000 kg right.multiply by g to find in N.I hope you know what is g.

If you have the block fall directly to earth, then you have an acceleration g=9.8m/s2/SUP]. You need force of mg to lift the block.

Now imagine if the block slide down the ramp. The acceleration must be slower than the direct drop.

Now you have mass and new acceleration value.

Related to How can the required force be calculated for pushing a block up an incline?

What is the uphill force equation?

The uphill force equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the amount of force required to move an object up an incline. It takes into account the mass of the object, the angle of the incline, and the force of gravity.

Why is the uphill force equation important?

The uphill force equation is important because it helps scientists and engineers understand and predict the amount of force needed to move an object up an incline. This can be useful in various fields such as transportation, construction, and sports.

How is the uphill force equation derived?

The uphill force equation is derived from the principles of physics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. It takes into account the force of gravity acting on the object and the normal force exerted by the incline to determine the net force required to move the object uphill.

What are the units of measurement for the variables in the uphill force equation?

The mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg), the angle of the incline is measured in degrees (°), and the force is measured in Newtons (N). The final result of the equation will also be in Newtons.

Can the uphill force equation be used for objects on a downward incline?

Yes, the uphill force equation can be used for objects on a downward incline as well. However, the angle of the incline will have a negative value and the force required will be in the opposite direction of the incline.