How can the product rule be applied to a function with 3 variables?

In summary, Differentiate one variable at a time, multiply by all other variables, then take it through all the combinations, and add everything up.
bumclouds
hey there,

At the moment at school I'm doing Implicit Differentiation.

If i had for Instence 2y'yx + 6x = 0

how can I use the product rule on the first step when there are 3 variables?

Cheers-
Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
It's simple, you can derive it yourself using the rule for 2 variables :

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(uvw) = uv\frac{dw}{dx} + w\frac{d}{dx}(uv) = uv\frac{dw}{dx} + w(u\frac{dv}{dx} + v\frac{du}{dx}) = uv\frac{dw}{dx} + vw\frac{du}{dx} + uw\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

Doesn't the form look simple ? Differentiate one variable at a time, multiply by all other variables, then take it through all the combinations, and add everything up. Of course, it applies for any number of variables.

Can you do your problem now ? (But to tell you the truth, the problem you gave is unclear - if you're trying to find out y' in terms of y and x, all you need to do is rearrange the terms).

Last edited:
Thankyou very much. Yes, I was trying to find y' in terms of the other stuff. Previously, I had only learned the product rule for two variables.. like u'.v + u.v'.

bumclouds said:
If I had for instance 2y'yx + 6x = 0

how can I use the product rule on the first step when there are 3 variables?
Well, unless something is mis-typed, there are two variables if one assumes y = y(x) and y' = dy(x)/dy, and y would be dependent on x which is an independent variable.

In the above equation, "2x" factors out leaving y'y + 3 = 0, or y' = dy/dx = -3/y, or y dy = -3 dx.

Curious3141 provided the correct chain rule for 3 dependent variables, the fourth x being independent.

It would have been better to say "3 factors".

(uvw)'= u'vw+ uv'w+ uvw'.

Related to How can the product rule be applied to a function with 3 variables?

1. What is the product rule with 3 variables?

The product rule with 3 variables is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a function that involves three variables. It states that the derivative of a product of three functions is equal to the sum of the first function times the derivative of the second and third functions, plus the second function times the derivative of the first and third functions, plus the third function times the derivative of the first and second functions.

2. How is the product rule with 3 variables different from the product rule with 2 variables?

The product rule with 3 variables is an extension of the product rule with 2 variables. In the product rule with 2 variables, the derivative is found by multiplying the first function by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function. However, in the product rule with 3 variables, the derivative is found by taking into account all three functions in a similar manner.

3. When is the product rule with 3 variables used?

The product rule with 3 variables is used in calculus, specifically in finding the derivative of a function with three variables. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the rate of change of a system with multiple variables.

4. What is the formula for the product rule with 3 variables?

The formula for the product rule with 3 variables is d/dx(fgh) = f'(x)gh + g'(x)fh + h'(x)fg, where f, g, and h are the three functions and f', g', and h' are their respective derivatives with respect to x.

5. Can the product rule with 3 variables be extended to more than 3 variables?

Yes, the product rule can be extended to any number of variables. The general formula for the product rule with n variables is d/dx(f1f2...fn) = f1'f2...fn + f1f2'...fn + ... + f1f2...fn', where f1, f2, ..., fn are the n functions and f1', f2', ..., fn' are their respective derivatives with respect to x.