How can the numerical value of the infinite Zeta Function sum be found?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the numerical value of the sum \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\zeta(-k)), where \zeta is the Riemann zeta function and k is a variable. The conversation includes discussions about using the identity \frac{x}{e^x - 1} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{B_nx^n}{n!} to evaluate the sum, as well as the formula \zeta(1 - 2k) = \frac{(-1)^{2k-1} B_{2k}}{2k}. It also mentions that \zeta(-k) is equal to B(n)/
seanhbailey

Homework Statement

Find the numerical value of [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\zeta(-k))[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to get a numerical value for this sum.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sum [tex]\sum_k=0^\infty (\zeta(1-2k))[/tex] is equal to [tex]\sum_k=0^\infty (-B_{2k}\2k)[/tex]. I hope this helps. Thanks

I forgot to mention that B represents the Bernoulli numbers.

I think that

[tex]\zeta(1 - 2k)[/tex] = [tex]\frac{(-1)^{2k-1} B_{2k}}{2k}[/tex].

At least, that's what's in one of my books. Also, is that first sum correct? It looks like you're supposed to use the identity

[tex]\frac{x}{e^x - 1} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{B_nx^n}{n!}[/tex]

but you need another k in the sum's denominator.

Petek

Thank you for helping. Sorry about the first sum; I typed it in wrong.

Because of the 1/k in the denominator, does this imply that [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\zeta(-k))[/tex] has no sum?

I found that zeta(-k) is equal to B(n)/(((-1)^(n+1))*n), where B(n) is the Bernoulli numbers, implying that [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\zeta(-k))[/tex] is equal to ln(2)*[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (B(n))[/tex]. Sorry about the formating.

To make sure that we're solving the same problem, please post the sum that you're trying to evaluate (since one of your posts stated that the sum in your original post was inaccurate). Thanks!

Petek

The original sum I was trying to evaluate was [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\zeta(-k))[/tex].

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 1/n^s[/tex]

Related to How can the numerical value of the infinite Zeta Function sum be found?

1. What is the Infinite Zeta Function Sum?

The Infinite Zeta Function Sum is a mathematical series that is defined as the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers raised to a given power. It is denoted by the letter "zeta" and is represented by the Greek letter ζ.

2. What is the significance of the Infinite Zeta Function Sum?

The Infinite Zeta Function Sum is of great importance in mathematics, particularly in number theory. It has connections to various mathematical concepts such as prime numbers, the distribution of prime numbers, and the Riemann hypothesis.

3. How is the Infinite Zeta Function Sum calculated?

The Infinite Zeta Function Sum is calculated using a formula known as the Riemann zeta function, which is given by ζ(s) = 1 + 1/2^s + 1/3^s + 1/4^s + ... , where s is the power to which the reciprocals are raised. This formula can be extended to include all positive integers and can also be expressed in terms of complex numbers.

4. What is the significance of the Riemann hypothesis in relation to the Infinite Zeta Function Sum?

The Riemann hypothesis is a famous unsolved problem in mathematics that states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line with a real part of 1/2. The Infinite Zeta Function Sum is closely related to the Riemann zeta function and plays a crucial role in the study of the Riemann hypothesis. A proof of the Riemann hypothesis would have significant implications for the Infinite Zeta Function Sum and its properties.

5. How is the Infinite Zeta Function Sum used in real-world applications?

The Infinite Zeta Function Sum is primarily used in theoretical mathematics and has many applications in number theory, algebra, and analysis. It is also used in various areas of physics, including quantum field theory and statistical mechanics. Additionally, the Riemann zeta function, which is used to calculate the Infinite Zeta Function Sum, has practical applications in cryptography and coding theory.