How can something like superfluidity exist between atoms

• Thread starter Gavroy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, superfluidity exists because of the interatomic interactions between atoms, which allows for the transfer of force throughout the fluid. While there is still friction between atoms, it is quickly and efficiently transferred through the fluid, allowing for the lack of viscosity in a superfluid.
Gavroy
hi,
I asked myself:

how can something like superfluidity exist between atoms, when there should always be van der waals forces and therefore an interatomic interaction?

so imho there should always be this kind of friction between the atoms. where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Gavroy said:
hi,
I asked myself:

how can something like superfluidity exist between atoms, when there should always be van der waals forces and therefore an interatomic interaction?

so imho there should always be this kind of friction between the atoms. where am I wrong?

The interation between atoms is the exact reason that superfluidity exists. The fluid lacks viscosity, but it still has friction. One atom in the fluid cannot just travel all the way from one side to the other without hitting other atoms. Its just that when something puts a force on an atom, the force is immediately transferred through the rest of the liquid.

Related to How can something like superfluidity exist between atoms

1. What is superfluidity?

Superfluidity is a state of matter in which a fluid flows with zero viscosity, meaning it has no resistance to flow. This allows the fluid to flow without losing any energy, even at extremely low temperatures. Superfluidity is only observed in certain substances, such as liquid helium, at very low temperatures near absolute zero.

2. How does superfluidity exist between atoms?

Superfluidity between atoms occurs when the atoms are cooled to a temperature close to absolute zero. At this temperature, the atoms stop moving around randomly and instead form a highly organized state called a Bose-Einstein condensate. In this state, the atoms lose their individual identities and behave as a single superatom, allowing for the flow of the superfluid.

3. What are the properties of superfluids?

Superfluids have a number of unique properties, including zero viscosity, the ability to flow through extremely narrow spaces, and the ability to climb up walls and out of containers due to their lack of viscosity. They also have a constant density, even as they flow, and can rotate without losing any energy.

4. What are the applications of superfluids?

The study of superfluidity has led to advancements in fields such as cryogenics, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. Superfluids have also been used in applications such as creating ultra-sensitive gyroscopes, improving the cooling of superconductors, and studying the behavior of matter at very low temperatures.

5. Can superfluidity exist in other substances besides helium?

Although superfluidity was first observed in liquid helium, it has since been observed in other substances, such as ultracold atomic gases and neutron stars. Scientists are also researching the possibility of creating superfluids in other materials, such as water and hydrogen, at higher temperatures.