How can pure EM waves experience decoherence?

In summary: I was undoubtedly speaking to a particular situation - in general decoherence has nothing to do with electrons and observational apparatus. Its to do with a general quantum phenomena independent of that.
jlcd
How do you treat decoherence in purely electromagnetic field? In other words, can EM field also have decoherence? How?

Physics news on Phys.org
jlcd said:
How do you treat decoherence in purely electromagnetic field? In other words, can EM field also have decoherence? How?

Decoherene is a general quantum phenomena that is exactly the same for EM as any other quantum objects.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Demystifier
Why do you think that EM field might not have decoherence?
It certainly does. That's a reason why in some circumstances we see coherent or squeezed states, while in other circumstances we see photon-number eigenstates.

Likes bhobba
In electrons.. it's all particles so decoherence is just one particle against others.

But in electromagnetic field.. is decoherence about particle and the em wave.. but the em wave is not the wave function of the photon.. so what is decoherence with respect to?

jlcd said:
IBut in electromagnetic field.. is decoherence about particle and the em wave.. but the em wave is not the wave function of the photon.. so what is decoherence with respect to?

Everything is a quantum field. Its more complex in QFT but the principles are exactly the same:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/9508052v1.pdf

Note - my knowledge of QFT is not good enough to go into the detail of it - but being a quantum theory it must have decoherence - its an inevitable consequence of entanglement which is foundational to QM.

Thanks
Bill

jlcd said:
but the em wave is not the wave function of the photon
So basically, you ask what replaces the wave function in quantum field theory? Instead of wave function you have a wave functional, which can be thought of as wave function depending on an infinite number of "coordinates".

Likes bhobba
What I was inquiring was whether you use photons as particles in the decoherence in electromagnetic wave or whether you use wave.

In conventional QM, you use particles like electrons in the measurements.. and the system and environment are models in terms of particles.. how about in electromagnetic wave? Can you give an example of decoherence in em wave with system and environment in the factorization (or decomposition)?

jlcd said:
What I was inquiring was whether you use photons as particles in the decoherence in electromagnetic wave or whether you use wave.

You use neither - its an 'ecitation' of the EM field - not particle or wave. Even in ordinary QM it neither particle or wave.

jlcd said:
In conventional QM, you use particles like electrons in the measurements..

We can use photons to decohere and do a measurement eg a few stray photons from the CBMR is enough to give a dust particle a definite position.

Thanks
Bill

Docoherence occurs when there is observational apparatus and say entangled photons. I am asking would there be decoherence if the observational apparatus is purely em wave and not any particle? I'm trying to get my head of pure em wave decohering other em waves.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's incorrect.

but the context of it came from you yourself. reading about decoherence i saw this post of yours where you stated

"The system here is not the entangled electrons - its the entangled electrons AND the observational apparatus - that's where the decoherence occurs. It is the interaction with the observational apparatus that transforms the superposition of the up/down spin to a mixed state and breaks the entanglement with the other electron."

i was simply asking whether the observational apparatus can be pure em wave?

i have browse your reference at the library. i just wanted to know how do you deal with pure em wave decoherence?

jlcd said:
but the context of it came from you yourself. reading about decoherence i saw this post of yours where you stated

You hit it in one with the word - CONTEXT.

I was undoubtedly speaking to a particular situation - in general decoherence has nothing to do with electrons and observational apparatus. Its to do with a general quantum phenomena independent of that.

jlcd said:
i just wanted to know how do you deal with pure em wave decoherence?

As I said photons interact only weakly so you don't have pure em wave decoherence.

Thanks
Bill

Related to How can pure EM waves experience decoherence?

1. What is decoherence in an electromagnetic (EM) field?

Decoherence in an EM field refers to the loss of coherence or synchronization of the quantum states of particles within the field. This can be caused by interactions with the environment, such as other particles or electromagnetic radiation, which disrupt the delicate quantum states and cause them to become more classical and unpredictable.

2. How does decoherence affect quantum systems?

Decoherence can cause quantum systems to lose their superposition and entanglement states, making them behave more classically. This can lead to the loss of quantum properties, such as interference and coherence, and make the system's behavior more predictable and classical.

3. What are some common causes of decoherence in EM fields?

Some common causes of decoherence in EM fields include interactions with other particles, such as collisions or scattering, as well as interactions with the electromagnetic radiation of the environment. These interactions can cause quantum states to become entangled with the environment, leading to the loss of coherence.

4. Can decoherence be reversed?

In some cases, decoherence can be reversed through a process called quantum error correction. This involves actively monitoring and controlling the system to prevent interactions with the environment and maintain coherence. However, this process can be difficult and is not always possible.

5. How does decoherence impact quantum computing?

Decoherence is a major challenge in quantum computing, as it can cause errors and make it difficult to maintain the delicate quantum states needed for computation. Researchers are working on developing methods to reduce and correct for decoherence in order to improve the reliability and scalability of quantum computers.