How Can Physics Predict the Danger Zone for Plants from Falling Snow?

In summary, a physics student was given a problem of how snow falls off of a roof and calculates the time and distance at which the snow hits the ground.
sasuke07

Homework Statement

So...In Central Oregon there is a winter time problem that is troublesome to gardeners having to do with large masses of snow sliding off the roof and crushing plants and shrubs on the ground. Physics (in particular 2-D Kinematics) allows us to determine some features of the vegetative danger zone. We'll assume for the purposes of this activity that the roof is a typical 4 in 12 pitch (meaning it rises 40 cm and it goes inwards 120 cm ) and experiments have shown that when large amounts of snow slide off they leave the edge of the roof at 2.4 m/s. The edge of the roof is 3.3 m above the ground and 40 cm outward from the wall of the house.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honelsty don't even know where to begin. Our teacher likes to gives us scenerios and for us to figure out possible questions that he might ask depending on the scenerio. If someone could give me a jumping off point or anything would be helpful. attached is the scenerio in picture form.

Attachments

• snowroof.jpg
    snowroof.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it looks to me like the question is, "How far from the house will the snow hit the ground?" You are given the speed at which the snow comes off the house, and the angle at which it comes off. You can calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the initial speed from that, then use the equations of motion, with no acceleration horizontally and the acceleration due to gravity vertically, to find the time and distance from the house at which the snow hits the ground.

thanks for the quick reply but besides the 90 degree angle, could you tell me what other angles were given. Becuaese i can't see them.

So i did some work, i just don't know where to go from here or really what angle i am supposed to use, please help

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 455

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and equations that are relevant to 2-D kinematics. In this scenario, the key variables are the distance, time, and velocity. The equations that we can use include the kinematic equations: displacement = initial velocity x time + 0.5 x acceleration x time^2, final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time, and average velocity = (initial velocity + final velocity)/2.

Based on the given information, we can calculate the time it takes for the snow to slide off the roof using the equation for displacement. We can also calculate the acceleration of the snow using the equation for final velocity, by setting the initial velocity to 0 and solving for acceleration.

Once we have the time and acceleration, we can use the equation for average velocity to calculate the average velocity of the snow as it slides off the roof. This will give us an idea of how fast the snow is moving when it reaches the ground.

Additionally, we can use the equations for displacement and final velocity to calculate the horizontal and vertical distances that the snow will travel before hitting the ground. This will give us an idea of the size of the "vegetative danger zone" and where it is located relative to the house.

From there, we can also analyze the angle of the roof and the speed at which the snow is sliding off to determine if there are any other potential factors that may affect the danger zone, such as wind or the shape of the roof.

Overall, 2-D kinematics allows us to understand and predict the motion of the snow as it slides off the roof, and by extension, the potential danger it poses to the plants and shrubs below. It is important to consider these factors when designing and building structures in areas prone to heavy snowfall.

Related to How Can Physics Predict the Danger Zone for Plants from Falling Snow?

What is 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics is the study of motion in a two-dimensional space, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object along both the x-axis and y-axis.

What is the difference between 1D and 2D kinematics?

1D kinematics deals with motion in one dimension, usually along a straight line, while 2D kinematics deals with motion in two dimensions, allowing for movement along both the x-axis and y-axis.

What are the equations used in 2D kinematics problems?

The equations used in 2D kinematics problems are the same as those used in 1D kinematics, but with separate equations for the x and y components of motion. These include equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

How do you solve a 2D kinematics problem?

To solve a 2D kinematics problem, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables, and then use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable. It can be helpful to draw a diagram and break the problem down into x and y components.

What are some real-life applications of 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics has many real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, understanding the motion of celestial bodies, and analyzing the movement of vehicles or objects in sports. It is also used in the design and analysis of machines and structures.

Back