How can one build a non-trivial operator with a zero mean value?

In summary: So you could build a polynomial in the Hamiltonian that would commute with it.In summary, an operator with a mean value equal to a constant C can be represented as C times the identity operator. This means that the mean value of the operator is independent of the state of the system. However, if C is equal to zero, the resulting operator would be the trivial operator. It is possible to have an operator that always has a mean value equal to a constant, either for any time or any state. The only operators that can always guarantee a constant mean value are the Hamiltonian and some constant operator.
luxxio
it is possible to build a non trivial operator which the mean value is always zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
That would mean it's mean value is always a constant. In other words, it's outcome doesn't depend on the state of the system. That means the operator can be written as a constant times the identity operator.

So you automatically end up with the trivial operator.

xepma said:
That would mean it's mean value is always a constant.
no. a constant will not return a zero mean value.

I was referring to the more general case: what does it mean to have an operator O which always has a mean value equal to some constant C?

That means that <O> = C, irrespective of the state. Therefore, the operator can be represented by a the constant C times the identity opeator 1, so O = C*1. This leas to:

<O> = C<1> = C, which is what we desire.

You're asking for the special case when C=0. This automatically leads to the trivial operator 0.

xepma said:
I was referring to the more general case: what does it mean to have an operator O which always has a mean value equal to some constant C?

That means that <O> = C, irrespective of the state. Therefore, the operator can be represented by a the constant C times the identity opeator 1, so O = C*1. This leas to:

<O> = C<1> = C, which is what we desire.

You're asking for the special case when C=0. This automatically leads to the trivial operator 0.
this is not true. a little example:
the operator [itex]\left[-i\partial_t-\nabla^2 + cost]|\psi>=0[\itex].
so it's mean value is zero

your question is ambiguous in that you don't specify what you mean by "always". "Always" as in for any time, or as in any state?

if the former then I think xepma has it right. certainly right if the operator is Hermitian, as you just go into the diagonal basis, and each diagonal element has to be the same value or the expectation value of the eigenstates are different from each other. if you rotate the basis then your operator is still diagonal with the same value- this is to be expected from a totally degenerate eigenspace.

if the latter, then if an operator P commutes with the Hamiltonian then the expectation value ought to be unchanging with time. whatever that expectation value is, create a new operator as P-<P> which will have expectation value zero for all time.

I'm pretty sure that in general the only operator that could always be guarenteed to commute with any hamiltonian would be the hamiltonian itself or a constant, thus the only operators which have a constant mean value in time are the hamiltonian and some constant operator.

CPL.Luke said:
I'm pretty sure that in general the only operator that could always be guarenteed to commute with any hamiltonian would be the hamiltonian itself or a constant, thus the only operators which have a constant mean value in time are the hamiltonian and some constant operator.

I think that's true. You could build a function of the Hamiltonian I guess, and that would commute with the Hamiltonian. So a linear combination of Constant, H, H^2... H^n etc.

Related to How can one build a non-trivial operator with a zero mean value?

What is the zero mean value operator?

The zero mean value operator, also known as the mean operator, is a mathematical function that calculates the average value of a set of numbers by summing all the values and dividing by the total number of values.

What is the purpose of the zero mean value operator?

The zero mean value operator is used to remove any bias or offset from a set of data. It is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis to center the data around zero, making it easier to interpret and compare with other data sets.

How is the zero mean value operator calculated?

To calculate the zero mean value operator, we first sum all the values in the data set, then divide the sum by the total number of values. This gives us the mean or average value of the data set. Then, we subtract this mean value from each individual value in the data set, resulting in a new data set with a mean of zero.

What are the benefits of using the zero mean value operator?

Using the zero mean value operator allows for easier comparison and analysis of data sets, as it removes any bias or offset. It also helps to reduce the impact of outliers or extreme values in the data, making it a more robust measure of central tendency.

Are there any limitations to using the zero mean value operator?

One limitation of the zero mean value operator is that it assumes the data is normally distributed. If the data is not normally distributed, the mean may not be a representative measure of the central tendency. It also does not take into account the shape of the data distribution, so it may not be suitable for all types of data.