How Can Non-Expressional Curves Be Used to Measure Energy Transfer?

• Thread starter johnintheuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the quantity of energy transferred between two systems using absorption and drive curves that do not follow a mathematical expression. Alternative methods, such as drawing and measuring the area or using a computer program, are suggested but may not provide accurate results due to sharp deviations in the curves. The possibility of finding a math expression through continuous data is also mentioned.
johnintheuk
I'm trying to find the quantity of energy transferred between two systems. I have an absorption curve and a drive curve, but neither of these follow a mathematical expression.

I want to use the absorption curves to find out how much of the drive is being transferred. I know one way to do this would be to integrate the curves, but they can't really be approximated by an expression.

How else might I go about it?

I have actually thought about drawing them, then doing the old cutting out and measuring the area trick for a rough estimation. Surely there's something easier than that though.

Maybe scan them and use something on the computer to find the enclosed area?

But there's a lot of sharp deviation on the curves, so I'd really need to cut the x-axis up into a lot of sections to get any kind of accuracy whatsoever.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johnintheuk said:
I'm trying to find the quantity of energy transferred between two systems. I have an absorption curve and a drive curve, but neither of these follow a mathematical expression.

I want to use the absorption curves to find out how much of the drive is being transferred. I know one way to do this would be to integrate the curves, but they can't really be approximated by an expression.
"math expression" means what to you?

Do you have some data that we could look at or a plot?

As long as the data is continuous, a math expression should be possible to find. See this http://www.digitalCalculus.com/demo/curvfit.html" program with its many examples.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand your struggle in trying to quantify the energy transfer between two systems when the curves do not follow a mathematical expression. One approach you could take is to use numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, which do not require a mathematical expression but rather use discrete data points to approximate the area under the curve. This would provide a more accurate estimation compared to visually measuring the area.

Another option is to use a computer program or software that specializes in curve fitting and data analysis. These programs are designed to handle complex curves and can provide more precise calculations of the energy transfer.

Additionally, you can try to break down the curves into smaller sections and analyze the energy transfer within each section separately. This may help to better understand the behavior of the curves and provide insights into the energy transfer process.

Overall, while there may not be a straightforward solution to your problem, there are various approaches and tools that can help you in quantifying the energy transfer between the two systems. It may require some trial and error, but with persistence and the use of appropriate techniques, you can achieve a more accurate estimation of the energy transfer.

Related to How Can Non-Expressional Curves Be Used to Measure Energy Transfer?

1. What is the purpose of weighting results with curve?

Weighting results with curve is a statistical technique used to adjust the values of data points in a dataset. It is typically used to account for variations in sample sizes or to correct for biases in the data. The goal of weighting is to create a more accurate representation of the population being studied.

2. How is weighting with curve different from other statistical methods?

Unlike other statistical methods, weighting with curve involves assigning a weight to each data point, rather than grouping or averaging the data. This allows for a more precise adjustment of values and can be particularly useful when dealing with complex or skewed data sets.

3. What factors should be considered when weighting results with curve?

When deciding on the appropriate weighting method, researchers should consider the distribution of the data, the sample size, and the potential sources of bias in the data. They should also consider the goals of their study and choose a weighting method that will best address those goals.

4. Can weighting with curve improve the accuracy of research findings?

Yes, weighting with curve can improve the accuracy of research findings by accounting for variations in sample sizes and correcting for potential biases in the data. This can result in a more representative and reliable dataset, leading to more accurate conclusions and insights.

5. Are there any limitations to weighting results with curve?

As with any statistical method, there are limitations to weighting results with curve. For example, it may not be appropriate for all types of data or research questions. Additionally, the accuracy of the weighted results depends on the accuracy of the original data. It is important for researchers to carefully consider the appropriateness and potential limitations of weighting with curve for their specific study.