How Can Newton-Raphson Method Solve These Complex Nonlinear Equations?

In summary: Appears.In summary, the three non-linear equations are given by: f(c,s,q), g(c,s,q), and h(c,s,q). It is really difficult question for me because i don't know very much about the Newton-Raphson Method and also these non-linear equations contain 3 variables. I have try by applying the Newton-Raphson method to each equations:- c[(6.7 * 10^8) + (1.2 * 10^8)s+(1-q)(2.6*10^8)]-0.00114532=0, g[c,s,q]=0, h[c,
wel
Gold Member
The three non-linear equations are given by
\begin{equation}
c[(6.7 * 10^8) + (1.2 * 10^8)s+(1-q)(2.6*10^8)]-0.00114532=0
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
s[2.001 *c + 835(1-q)]-2.001*c =0
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
q[2.73 + (5.98*10^{10})c]-(5.98 *10^{10})c =0
\end{equation}
Using the Newton-Raphson Method solve these equations in terms of [itex]c,s[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex].

=> It is really difficult question for me because i don't know very much about the Newton-Raphson Method and also these non-linear equations contain 3 variables.

I have try by applying the Newton-Raphson method to each equations:-
\begin{equation}
f(c,s,q)=0= c[(6.7 * 10^8) + (1.2 * 10^8)s+(1-q)(2.6*10^8)]-0.00114532
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
g(c,s,q)=0= s[2.001 *c + 835(1-q)]-2.001*c
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
h(c,s,q)=0= q[2.73 + (5.98*10^{10})c]-(5.98 *10^{10})c
\end{equation}
now i guess i need to work out [itex]f'(c,s,q), g'(c,s,q), h'(c,s,q)[/itex] but i don't know how?

and after working out [itex]f'(c,s,q), g'(c,s,q), h'(c,s,q)[/itex] . After that i think i need to use Newton-raphson iteration:

[itex]c_{n+1}= c_n - \frac{f(c,s,q)}{f'(c,s,q)}[/itex]

but the [itex]f(c,s,q)[/itex] and [itex]f'(c,s,q)[/itex] contains the [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex].

Similarly, for

[itex]s_{n+1}= s_n - \frac{g(c,s,q)}{g'(c,s,q)}[/itex]

will have [itex]g(c,s,q)[/itex] and [itex]g'(c,s,q)[/itex] containing the [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex[].

[itex]q_{n+1}= q_n - \frac{h(c,s,q)}{h'(c,s,q)}[/itex]

will have [itex]h(c,s,q)[/itex] and [itex]h'(c,s,q)[/itex] containing the [itex]c[/itex].

so am i not sure what to do please help me. to find the values of [itex]c,s,q[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should read how the Newton Raphson method works for multi variable problems. Here's one link:

http://fourier.eng.hmc.edu/e161/lectures/ica/node13.html

[Edit, added] Why don't you simplify the equations a bit first? Also, are you using something like Maple or Mathematica? If so, why not let the package solve the system? I'm not a computer scientist, but I would be wary of a system with huge numbers and little bitty numbers.

Last edited:
I need to calculate by hand without any mathematical software. that's the reason i am having difficulty. please help me.

'
wel said:
I need to calculate by hand without any mathematical software. that's the reason i am having difficulty. please help me.

You have already been told what you need to do; have you tried it?

Personally, I would be skeptical about the use of a standard method on your problem as it stands, because your problem is very badly scaled. You can get a much better-behaved system by using scaled variables: let ##s = 10^{-8} s'## and ##c = 10^{-9} c'##. Then the system becomes
[tex] .93 c'-.26 c' q-.00114532 +.7065655170 \times 10^{-11} c' s' = 0\\
835 s'-835 s'q-.2001 c' + .2001 \times 10^{-8} c' s'= 0 \\
2.73 q+59.8 c' q-59.8 c' = 0
[/tex]
In this new system the bad scaling is limited to the terms in ##c' s'## in the first two equations. It is very probable that much better accuracy can be obtained from solving the new system.

@Ray: Interestingly enough, Maple will give an answer to that system. Then if you solve the same system without the ##c's'## terms, you get the same answer. Not too surprising, I guess. I'm thinking those two terms would also raise havoc when calculating the inverse of the Jacobian for Newton-Rhapson.

LCKurtz said:
@Ray: Interestingly enough, Maple will give an answer to that system. Then if you solve the same system without the ##c's'## terms, you get the same answer. Not too surprising, I guess. I'm thinking those two terms would also raise havoc when calculating the inverse of the Jacobian for Newton-Rhapson.

Yes, I did everything in Maple.

If you take the original system but first convert the numbers from floats to rationals, the maple command 'solve' produces a solution in terms of some 'Root_Of' expressions; then applying the 'allvalues' command produces 4 symbolic solutions, but which are huge, multi-page monsters that involve enormous rational numbers, etc. Applying 'evalf[n]' for n-digit evaluation produces two complex and two real solutions. Applying 'solve' on the original system, with no rational conversion, produces essentially the same 4 floating-point solutions. Using 'fsolve' instead produces one of the 4 solutions, and if I am not mistaken, is done essentially by implementing Newton's method. I suspect that the implementation was done carefully enough to get around bad scaling, perhaps by using a self-scaling version of Newton.

@wel: Where did this problem come from? If it is just a problem where you are supposed to learn how Newton-Rhapson method works, then it is a ridiculous teaching example. On the other hand, if you are studying numerical analysis and learning about how to handle systems that aren't well behaved, it would be a more appropriate problem. Please give us the context in which this problem arose.

Related to How Can Newton-Raphson Method Solve These Complex Nonlinear Equations?

What is the Newton-Raphson method?

The Newton-Raphson method is an algorithm for finding the roots of a nonlinear equation. It is an iterative method that uses the derivative of the function to approximate the root.

How does the Newton-Raphson method work?

The method starts with an initial guess for the root and then uses the derivative of the function at that point to find a better approximation. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

What are the advantages of using the Newton-Raphson method?

The Newton-Raphson method is a very efficient and accurate way to find the roots of a nonlinear equation. It converges quickly to the root and can handle a wide range of functions.

What are the limitations of the Newton-Raphson method?

The method may fail if the initial guess is not close enough to the actual root or if the function has multiple roots. It also requires knowledge of the derivative of the function, which may be difficult to obtain for some equations.

What are some applications of the Newton-Raphson method?

The method is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve equations that cannot be solved analytically. It is also used in optimization problems to find the minimum or maximum value of a function.