How can mass distribution affect the derivation of a natural frequency equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving a natural frequency equation for a system based on Newton's second law. The given equation includes variables for spring constant, moment of inertia, and effective radius of the pulley. The question specifically asks about the division of mass m3 and multiplication of mass m4. The conversation also mentions the use of images and the application of different velocities in determining the frequency. The solution involves lumping up the masses and solving a second order ODE with MATLAB's ode45 function.
knight92
Hi I want to derive a natural frequency equation for a system. I saw this question in a book.
so they gave us an equation
frequency = (1/2pi) * ( sqrt( k/m1+m2+m3/3+4m4+Ic/r2) )

Ic = Moment of inertia of pulley about rotational axis
r = effective radius of pulley
k = spring constant

now the question says that I have to derive this equation from Newtons second law f=ma (The body is pulled down a bit and left to oscillate). I have done that no problem but I don't get why mass m3 which is the mass of the spring is divided by 3 and mass m4 which is mass of the body is multiplied by 4. Can anyone help ? I have attached an image of the setup that I drew on photoshop, I don't have a scanner so I can't scan and upload the original diagram itself sorry. In the Second image the pulley is rotated clockwise and left to oscillate/rotate 10 times to calculate moment of inertia

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,270
  • Pulley-Moment-of-Inertia.gif
    Pulley-Moment-of-Inertia.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Different parts of the system are moving at different speeds.

Call the velocity of the pulley be V.
Mass m4 has Velocity 2V.
For the distributed mass of the spring along its length, the velocity varies linearly between 0 and V.
The pulley also has angular velocity V/R

Angular frequency = sqrt(strain energy / kinetic energy).

The different velocities give the different factors on the different m's in the KE.

Doesn't sound too bad, you can lump up all the masses then you just have a 2nd order ODE. Solve with MATLAB's ode45 function and determine the frequency numerically.

done

Related to How can mass distribution affect the derivation of a natural frequency equation?

What is natural frequency derivation?

Natural frequency derivation refers to the process of calculating and determining the natural frequency of a physical system or object. This frequency is the rate at which a system will oscillate when disturbed from its equilibrium position.

Why is natural frequency derivation important?

Understanding the natural frequency of a system is important in various fields of science and engineering, as it helps in predicting the behavior and response of the system to external forces or disturbances. It also helps in designing and optimizing systems for efficient and stable operation.

How is natural frequency derived?

Natural frequency is derived by analyzing the properties and characteristics of the system, such as its mass, stiffness, and damping. These parameters are used in mathematical equations, such as the equation of motion, to calculate the natural frequency.

Can natural frequency be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency of a system can be changed by altering its physical properties, such as its mass or stiffness. This can be done by adding or removing materials, or changing the shape or structure of the system.

What are the applications of natural frequency derivation?

Natural frequency derivation has numerous applications in various fields, such as mechanical engineering, civil engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to study and understand the behavior of structures, machines, and other systems, as well as in the design and optimization of these systems for specific purposes.