How can Kirchoff's first law be applied to electrical circuits?

In summary, according to Kirchoff's first law for electrical circuits, if the electromotive force is terminated at time t=0 and if the current is I(0) at the instant of removal, the equation V=RI+L(dI/dt) can be used to prove that I=I(0)e^(-Rt/L), where constants V, R, and L represent the electromotive force, resistance, and inductance, respectively, and I represents the current at time t. The solution involves substitution and differentiation, with the final equation being I=\frac{e^{\frac{t}{-LR}}RI(0)+v}{R}.
nameVoid
According to Kirchoff's first law for electrical circuits V=RI+L(dI/dt) where constants V, R and L denote the electromotive force, the resistance, and the inductance, respectively, and I denotes the current at time t. If the electromotive force is terminated at time t=0 and if the current is I(0) at the instant of removal, prove that I=I(0)e^(-Rt/L)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
v=RI+L(\frac{dI}{dT})
[/tex]
[tex]
dt=\frac{LdI}{v-RI}
[/tex]
[tex]
t+b=Lln|v-RI|(-R)
[/tex]
[tex]
e^{\frac{t+b}{-LR}}=v-RI
[/tex]
[tex]
t-> v-> 0 , I=I(0)
[/tex]
[tex]
e^{\frac{b}{-LR}}=-RI(0)
[/tex]
[tex]
-e^{\frac{t}{-LR}}(RI(0))=v-RI
[/tex]
[tex]
I=\frac{e^{\frac{t}{-LR}}RI(0)+v}{R}
[/tex]
im afraid to do anymore work on this but looks good to me so far

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nameVoid said:
According to Kirchoff's first law for electrical circuits V=RI+L(dI/dt) where constants V, R and L denote the electromotive force, the resistance, and the inductance, respectively, and I denotes the current at time t. If the electromotive force is terminated at time t=0 and if the current is I(0) at the instant of removal, prove that I=I(0)e^(-Rt/L)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
v=RI+L(\frac{dI}{dT})
[/tex]
[tex]
dt=\frac{LdI}{v-RI}
[/tex]
OK up to here, but I think instead of (-R) you want (-1/R) in the next line. This comes from the substitution you did but don't show. In any case, you can check your answer by differentiating it and substituting back into the original differential equation.

Also, pay closer attention to your variables. You started with T and changed to t. Since this is time, t is a better choice. If you run into differential equations that involve time and temperature (usually represented by t and T, respectively), you'll run into trouble.
nameVoid said:
[tex]
t+b=Lln|v-RI|(-R)
[/tex]
[tex]
e^{\frac{t+b}{-LR}}=v-RI
[/tex]
[tex]
t-> v-> 0 , I=I(0)
[/tex]
[tex]
e^{\frac{b}{-LR}}=-RI(0)
[/tex]
[tex]
-e^{\frac{t}{-LR}}(RI(0))=v-RI
[/tex]
[tex]
I=\frac{e^{\frac{t}{-LR}}RI(0)+v}{R}
[/tex]
im afraid to do anymore work on this but looks good to me so far

Related to How can Kirchoff's first law be applied to electrical circuits?

1. What are the laws of growth and decay?

The laws of growth and decay are mathematical principles that describe how quantities change over time. They are used to model various natural and man-made processes, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and economic growth.

2. What is the difference between growth and decay?

Growth refers to an increase in quantity over time, while decay refers to a decrease in quantity over time. In terms of the laws of growth and decay, growth is typically represented by positive values and decay is represented by negative values.

3. How do the laws of growth and decay affect real-world phenomena?

The laws of growth and decay provide a framework for understanding and predicting changes in various real-world phenomena. They can be used to make predictions and inform decision making in areas such as economics, medicine, and environmental science.

4. Can the laws of growth and decay be applied to all types of processes?

While the laws of growth and decay can be applied to many processes, they may not be suitable for all situations. Some processes may be better modeled by other mathematical principles, or may require more complex models that take into account multiple factors.

5. How can the laws of growth and decay be represented mathematically?

The laws of growth and decay can be represented using various mathematical equations, such as exponential growth and decay functions, logarithmic functions, and differential equations. These equations can be used to calculate specific values and make predictions about the behavior of a system over time.