How can it possibly be raining outside

• Thread starter mrspeedybob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Outside
In summary, when the humidity meter on the back porch reads 57%, it indicates that the relative humidity in the surface layer is below 100%, which is when most precipitation events occur. If precipitation is occurring at this level of humidity, it is likely that the hygrometer needs to be re-calibrated or replaced. The idea that condensation only occurs at 100% humidity is oversimplified and often incorrect. Condensation can occur at lower levels of humidity, especially at higher elevations.
mrspeedybob
when the humidity meter on my back porch reads 57%? May be a silly question but I don't know. I thought when the humidity exceeded 100% the excess moisture condensed out of the air and that's what we call precipitation. Obviously either my meter or my understanding is faulty?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
mrspeedybob said:
Obviously either my meter or my understanding is faulty?

Or both. Condensation may happen high up, where the temperature is much lower. When water falls down it may have no time to get warm enough and to vaporize before hitting the ground.

+1 Condensation happens in the clouds at lower temperatures and there the relative humidity is 100% (or more). If your humidity meter is reading 100%, it would most likely be foggy.

Thanks guys.

mrspeedybob said:
when the humidity meter on my back porch reads 57%? May be a silly question but I don't know. I thought when the humidity exceeded 100% the excess moisture condensed out of the air and that's what we call precipitation. Obviously either my meter or my understanding is faulty?

If you are getting precipitation when your hygrometer only reads 57%, then your hygrometer either needs re-calibration or replacement.

However, the vast majority of precipitation events occur when the RH in the surface layer (lowest 100 m) is less than 100%. This is because of the abundance of hygroscopic particles in this lower layer. The average RH during rainstorms is usually around 85%. As Borek pointed out, most precipitation is initiated a higher elevations where the RH may be significantly different from that at the surface.

The notion that condensation always occurs when the RH reaches 100% (and not until) is widely taught in primary schools, but is simplistic and often just dead wrong.

Related to How can it possibly be raining outside

1. How does rain form?

Rain forms when water vapor in the air cools and condenses into droplets, which then fall to the ground as precipitation.

2. What causes it to rain?

Rain is caused by a combination of factors, including temperature, moisture, and atmospheric pressure. When these conditions are right, water vapor in the air can turn into liquid droplets and fall as rain.

3. Why does it sometimes rain while the sun is still shining?

This phenomenon, known as a "sunshower," occurs when rain falls from a cloud that is not directly overhead. The sunlight can still reach the ground because the rain is falling from the edges of the cloud.

4. How can it be raining in one area but not another nearby?

The distribution of rain is influenced by several factors, including topography, wind patterns, and temperature. This can lead to variations in rainfall amounts over relatively small distances.

5. Is there a way to predict when it will rain?

Weather forecasting technology has improved significantly over the years, allowing meteorologists to make fairly accurate predictions about when and where rain is likely to occur. However, predicting exact timing and location of rain can still be challenging due to the complex nature of weather systems.