How Can Integration by Parts Be Applied to Solve Advanced Calculus Problems?

In summary: I was expecting. I think the original problem is a little more complicated than that, but this is the gist of it.
timman_24

Homework Statement

Integrate the following by parts twice

[itex]\int_{a}^{b}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{dT(r)}{dr})\psi(r)dr[/itex]

and show that it can be written as [itex]-\lambda^2\bar{T}[/itex] , where

[itex]\bar{T}=\int_{a}^{b}r\psi(r)T(r)dr[/itex]

and the function [itex]\psi[/itex] satisfies the following equation

[itex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{d\psi(r)}{dr})+\lambda^2\psi(r)=0[/itex]

Relevant equations and attempt

Of course the integration by parts equation, but I used the tabular method to get the first integration of:

[itex]\psi(r)r\frac{dT(r)}{dr}-\int_{a}^{b}\psi\prime(r)r\frac{dT(r)}{dr}dr[/itex]

But as you can see in the next step it gets more complicated because the v choice now needs integration by parts as well and since the T(r) portion will end up being an integral without a definite solution, I don't know where to take it from there. I tried to get things to cancel but haven't found a way yet. Am I going about this the wrong way?

On the second integration by parts I tried to group [itex]\psi\prime(r)r[/itex] together under u and it cleaned up v, but u became a mess without a way to cancel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a little rusty on this stuff and this was provided as a refresher problem to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've given it my best shot and have tried just about every way possible. There must be some trick or technique that I haven't learned yet to deal with this. If anyone has any thoughts about how I might tackle it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

timman_24 said:
If anyone has any thoughts about how I might tackle it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I got thoughts but it's not exactly as you put it. For starters, I assume you mean the following problem:

Let [itex]\psi(r)[/itex] satisfy the following DE:

[tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{d\psi(r)}{dr})+\lambda^2\psi(r)=0[/tex]

then show:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{dT(r)}{dr})\psi(r) dr=-\lambda^2\int_a^b r\psi T dr[/tex]

But that's not what I get. You did parts once, how about do it again to obtain:

[tex]r\psi \frac{dT}{dr}-rT\psi'+\int T(r\psi''+\psi')[/tex]

now, using the differential equation, this looks to me to be:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{dT(r)}{dr})\psi(r) dr=\left(r\psi T'-rT\psi'\right)_a^b-\lambda^2\int_a^b r\psi T[/tex]

and this is consistent with numerical calculations letting [itex]\psi(r)=\text{BesselJ}(0,\lambda r)[/itex] and [itex]T(r)=r^2+2r[/itex]

Related to How Can Integration by Parts Be Applied to Solve Advanced Calculus Problems?

What is Advance Integration By Parts?

Advance Integration By Parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals that involve the product of two functions. It is an extended version of the basic integration by parts rule that allows for more complicated integrals to be solved.

What is the formula for Advance Integration By Parts?

The formula for Advance Integration By Parts is ∫u(x)v(x)dx = u(x)∫v(x)dx - ∫u'(x)∫v(x)dx dx, where u(x) and v(x) are two functions and u'(x) is the derivative of u(x).

When should Advance Integration By Parts be used?

Advance Integration By Parts should be used when the integral involves a product of two functions and integrating by substitution or other methods is not possible. It can also be used to simplify complicated integrals.

What is the process for using Advance Integration By Parts?

The process for using Advance Integration By Parts involves choosing u(x) and v(x), differentiating u(x) to get u'(x), integrating v(x) to get ∫v(x)dx, and plugging these values into the formula ∫u(x)v(x)dx = u(x)∫v(x)dx - ∫u'(x)∫v(x)dx dx. This may need to be repeated multiple times until the integral can be solved.

What are some common mistakes when using Advance Integration By Parts?

Some common mistakes when using Advance Integration By Parts include choosing the wrong u(x) and v(x), making errors in differentiation or integration, and not simplifying the integral after applying the formula. It is important to double check all steps and be familiar with the basic integration by parts rule before using the advanced version.