How can I use this density function as a likelihood function?

In summary, two functions are proposed as a piecewise function, with the first function being exponential for values of d less than l and the second function being a scaled gaussian for values of d greater than l. The total area under the curve is equal to 1, making it a density function. However, when considering the function as a likelihood function for a given value of l, it may be difficult to work with due to its lack of continuity and differentiability.
daviddoria
I am trying to make a function which is exponential for a while, and then turns gaussian:
[tex]
f(l,d) = \lambda e^{-\lambda d} , 0 < d < l
[/tex]

and
[tex]
f(l,d) = (1-\int_0^l \lambda e^{-\lambda d} dd) \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-(d-l)^2/(2\sigma^2)} , l < d < \infty
[/tex]
(That is supposed to be a piecewise function!)

You can see that as a function of d, the function is exponential until l and then gives the remaining weight (ie 1 - the area accumulated so far) to the gaussian.

The problem is, interpreted as a function of l (the likelihood of l given d instead of the probability of d given l), I don't understand if it is defined, since the piecewise region depends on l.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
For any given l, is f(l,d) is a density function at all ? Does its integral over (0,inf) become 1?

yea its a density function. They way the two functions are combined is exactly to make it a density function. It looks at the integral from 0 to l of the first function and then gives (1-that area) weight to the second function, so the total is now 1.

daviddoria said:
yea its a density function. They way the two functions are combined is exactly to make it a density function. It looks at the integral from 0 to l of the first function and then gives (1-that area) weight to the second function, so the total is now 1.

But the integral of the second function over the domain in question is not 1.

the integral of the second function from l to infinity would be some value < 1, and then it is scaled to instead be the remaining portion of "1" that has not been "used" by the first function. Maybe I did that scaling a bit wrong, but it doesn't change the point really I don't think?

daviddoria said:
the integral of the second function from l to infinity would be some value < 1,

It is 1/2, to be exact.

daviddoria said:
and then it is scaled to instead be the remaining portion of "1" that has not been "used" by the first function.

There's no "instead:" it's simply scaled by 1-<other integral>, and so it integrates to half of that scaling factor. You need to multiply by 2.

daviddoria said:
Maybe I did that scaling a bit wrong, but it doesn't change the point really I don't think?

The point had to do with using this density as a likelihood function, right? The likelihood function seems to me to be well-defined, but that doesn't mean it's going to be easy to work with. The proposed piecewise density function is not continuous unless you choose the variance parameters in a certain way and, even then, it's not continuously differentiable. Which is to say that the ML estimate for l may be quite difficult to work out.

Related to How can I use this density function as a likelihood function?

1. What is a density function?

A density function, also known as a probability density function, is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a continuous random variable taking on a certain value within a given range. It is often used in statistics and data analysis to model and understand the distribution of data.

2. What makes a density function interesting?

A density function can be considered interesting if it exhibits unique or unexpected patterns or behaviors. This could include multiple peaks, asymmetry, or unusual shapes. Interesting density functions can also provide valuable insights and information about the data being studied.

3. How is a density function different from a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a discrete random variable taking on a certain value. A density function, on the other hand, is used to describe the probability of a continuous random variable taking on a certain value within a given range. In other words, a density function is a continuous version of a probability distribution.

4. What are some common types of density functions?

Some common types of density functions include the normal distribution, also known as the bell curve, which is often used to model natural phenomena such as heights or test scores. Other types include the uniform distribution, which has a constant density over a given range, and the exponential distribution, which is often used to model waiting times or lifetimes.

5. How is a density function used in data analysis?

Density functions are used in data analysis to understand and model the distribution of data. By fitting a density function to a dataset, scientists and researchers can gain insights into the central tendency, variability, and other characteristics of the data. This information can then be used to make predictions and inform decision-making processes.