How can I use logarithms to determine the growth rate of a bacteria colony?

In summary, both equations (P = P0at and P = P0ekt) can be used to solve for the time it takes for the number of bacteria to triple, and the answers are very close.
Jacobpm64
We're on the section of logarithms, so I'm guessing this has something to do with them...

If the size of a bacteria colony doubles in 5 hours, how long will it take for the number of bacteria to triple?

I know that doubling time and all that stuff is independent of the amount of something you have...

Should I use P = P0at or P = P0ekt ?

I'll just try it both ways to show some work, but I don't know which equation i'd be using...

first with P = P0at
2 = 1a5
2 = a5
a = 21/5
a = 1.1487

3 = (1.1487)t
ln3 = tln(1.1487)
t = ln3 / ln1.1487
t = 7.92473 hours

Now, to try using P = P0ekt

2 = 1e5k
2 = e5k
ln2 = 5k
k = ln2 / 5
k = .138629

3 = 1e.138629t
3 = e.138629t
ln3 = .138629t
t = ln3 / .138629
t = 7.92484 hours

very close answers, which one equation should i have used, and is the answer right?

Physics news on Phys.org
A quick glance should convince you that ##a=e^k##, so the answers are equivalent.

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to How can I use logarithms to determine the growth rate of a bacteria colony?

1. What is the typical size of a bacteria colony?

The size of a bacteria colony can vary greatly depending on the type of bacteria and the conditions in which it is growing. However, on average, a bacteria colony can range from 0.5 millimeters to 2 millimeters in diameter.

2. How do scientists measure the size of a bacteria colony?

Scientists typically use a tool called a colony counter to measure the size of a bacteria colony. This device allows them to accurately measure the diameter of the colony and calculate its size.

3. Can the size of a bacteria colony affect its growth rate?

Yes, the size of a bacteria colony can have an impact on its growth rate. A larger colony may have a higher concentration of nutrients, leading to faster growth, while a smaller colony may have limited access to nutrients and grow more slowly.

4. What factors can influence the size of a bacteria colony?

The size of a bacteria colony can be influenced by several factors, including the type of bacteria, the availability of nutrients, the temperature, and the presence of other organisms. Additionally, certain genetic mutations or environmental stressors can also affect the size of a colony.

5. Why is it important to study the size of bacteria colonies?

Studying the size of bacteria colonies can provide valuable information about the growth and behavior of bacteria. This data can be used to understand the spread of infectious diseases, develop new antibiotics, and improve our understanding of microbial ecosystems.