How can i use excel to solve some Statistics problems

In summary, the conversation discusses using Excel to solve statistics problems. It mentions gathering data from 500 households and selecting a random sample of 50 households. It also talks about creating bar charts and scatter diagrams, and calculating measures of location and dispersion. The conversation also mentions using formulas for each problem and provides an example.
MrNeWBiE
how can i use excel to solve some Statistics problems ,,,

hi all ,,,

am looking here for help. to know how to solve some stat problem with excel could someone help me please ,,,, :rolleyes:

well the things I want to know are.

"

A data set was gathered from 500 households (you can get an excel spreadsheet data file “dataset.xls” from the cce-share drive). The data consists of the monthly income (MI), monthly food expenditure (MFE), the highest level of education in the household (HLE) , the family size (FS), and the gender of the head of the family household (G).

1.From this population of 500 households, select a simple random sample of 50 households (Use the program embedded in the data file to help you select the sample).

2.Develop bar charts of HLE and frequency, G and frequency,

3.Plot the 50 sample points of MI and MFE values that you obtained in 1 on a scatter diagram. (Plot MI values along the X-axis and MFE values along the Y-axis - does this seem a reasonable suggestion? Why?)

4.Draw a scatter diagram of the sample points relating the FS and MFE values. What conclusion you make of the result?

5.Determine the range, median, mode, mean, standard deviation, variance, Q1, Q3, IQR.

6.Determine the values of rxy from the 50 pairs of MI and MFE values.

7.Calculate all the measures of location and dispersion of the sample of MFE, FS and MI values.

8.Using the estimates of the sample mean and standard deviation obtained in 7 above develop a 90% confidence interval estimate for the mean of the population of MFE, FS and MI values. State any assumptions used.

9.What is the probability of finding more than 3 females as head of house holds in a sample of 20?

"

can someone tell me the Formulas that i can use for each problem ,,

i attached my sample after doing part "1" of the question ,,,

Attachments

• Book00.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 220
Physics news on Phys.org

I suppose I can help a little...
I haven't looked at the spreadsheet, so I don't know where all your data is.
As an example, I will assume that each of the houses is listed in B2:B501.

For #1, just create a column of 50 cells, each containing the Excel formula: CHOOSE(RANDBETWEEN(1,500),B2:B501).

For #5, just use the Excel functions MEAN, MEDIAN, STDEV and VARIANCE. (for the rest, I do not know.)

Related to How can i use excel to solve some Statistics problems

1. How do I enter data into Excel for statistical analysis?

To enter data into Excel, start by opening a new workbook. Then, click on the first cell where you want to enter your data and type in the value. Press the "Enter" key to move to the next cell. Repeat this process for each data point until all your data is entered.

2. How can I use Excel to calculate descriptive statistics?

Excel has built-in functions for calculating descriptive statistics such as mean, median, mode, standard deviation, and more. To use these functions, click on the cell where you want the result to appear, then type the function name (e.g. "AVERAGE") followed by an open parenthesis. Next, select the range of cells that contains your data and press "Enter". The result will appear in the selected cell.

3. Can I create charts and graphs in Excel to visualize my data?

Yes, Excel has a variety of chart and graph options that can help you visualize your data. Simply select the data you want to plot and click on the "Insert" tab. From there, you can choose from different chart types such as bar, line, or pie charts. You can also customize the appearance and formatting of your chart to better represent your data.

4. How do I perform regression analysis using Excel?

To perform regression analysis in Excel, you will need to use the "Data Analysis" tool. This can be found by clicking on the "Data" tab and then selecting "Data Analysis" from the menu. From there, choose "Regression" and select the input and output variables for your analysis. Excel will then generate a regression output table and a scatter plot of your data.

5. Is there a way to use Excel to conduct hypothesis testing?

Yes, Excel has functions for conducting hypothesis tests such as t-tests and ANOVAs. These functions can be found under the "Data Analysis" tool. You will need to select the appropriate test based on your data and input the necessary parameters. Excel will then calculate the test statistic and p-value for your hypothesis test.