How can I solve this tricky integral in my differential equation?

• Thread starter VanHa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a differential equation and reaching a point where two integrals need to be solved. The problem lies in the integral on the left side, which can be solved by splitting it into two separate fractions with the same denominator. Suggestions for solving the integral include using a trig substitution or splitting the integral and referencing a table of integrals.
VanHa
I've been trying to solve differential equation:

[tex] y' = \frac{x+y}{x-y} [/tex]

I came to the point where I got following integrals:

[tex]\int \frac{(1-z) \cdot \,dz}{1+z^2} = \int \frac{dx}{x} [/tex]

The integral on the left side is the problem. I tried substitution:
[tex]t = 1+z^2 [/tex]
but I always end up with one dz left in the numerator.

I did the differential equation with numerator and denumerator inversed without problems, but I'm stuck on this one and I have a feeling that I can't figure out a trivial thing.

Any hints?

Thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try substitution y = t·x right at the beginning. (it's an homogeneous differential equation)

EDIT: Sorry for my stupidity. You already did. I'm trying to integrate your expression right now.

OK. Try separating the fraction into two fractions and integrating them separetly (you have two summands at the numerator, so you can express that as the sum of two separated fraction with the same denominator).

seems that a trig substitution would work.. have you tried z=tan(u)?

What's the definition of z in the OP?

In any event, splitting the z-integral into two parts makes it rather easy to integrate, as suggested by marksman95. You should be able to find one integral in a table of integrals and the other integral can be solved by substitution.

Thanks for help people. I will try both the trig substitution and by splitting the integral, and see what I will get. I will notice you on how it went. Thanks again.

Related to How can I solve this tricky integral in my differential equation?

1. What is Integral giving me headache?

Integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve. If you are having a headache while learning or working with integrals, it may be due to the complexity and abstract nature of the concept.

2. Why do I need to learn about integrals?

Integrals are an important tool in mathematics and science, as they allow us to find the area, volume, and other important quantities of complex shapes and functions. They are also used in many real-life applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of integrals?

Practice is key when it comes to understanding integrals. It is important to start with the basics and gradually build up your knowledge and skills. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get additional support.

4. What are some common mistakes made when working with integrals?

Some common mistakes when working with integrals include incorrect use of notation, forgetting to include a constant of integration, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to pay attention to details and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any tips for making integrals easier to understand?

One tip for understanding integrals is to break them down into smaller, more manageable pieces. This can help make the concept less overwhelming and allow you to focus on one aspect at a time. You can also try visualizing the problem or using real-life examples to make the concept more relatable.