How Can I Solve This Division Problem?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, the person is confused about how to do long division with numbers. They ask for help and the expert responds by telling them how to do it.
Miike012

Homework Statement

I added an attachment... I am not understanding how they did this...

Attachments

• DIV.jpg
    DIV.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember how to do long division with numbers?
For example, 6 / 5?

no that's hard.

Let me give you a couple of hints...
Suppose we want to divide 63 by 5:
Code:
5) 63 (
So we check how often 5 fits in 6. Clearly, that is once, so we write 1 x 5 below the 6 and subtract it, putting the 1 on the right:
Code:
5)63 (1
   ---
Now we pull down the 3, and repeat the trick:
Code:
5)63 (1
5 fits in 13 two times, so we get:
Code:
5)63 (12
   ---
   ---
Indeed, 63 / 5 equals 12 (because 5 x 12 = 60) and then something. But suppose we want to find some more digits, for example the first decimal. We cannot take another 5 out of 3, so we add a zero:
Code:
5) 63. (12
   5 .

Now we can take out 5, and we can take it out six times:
Code:
5) 63. (12.6
   5 .
    ---
and we have nothing left, so 12.6 is the answer.

In your example, it is the same. If you want to take 1 + 3x² out of 2x, you can do so 2x times, and since 2x(1 + 3x²) = 2x + 6x³,
Code:
1 + 3x²) 2x         ( 2x
         2x + 6x³
        ---------
            - 6x³

Next, you can take it out 6x³ times, write that underneath, and subtract.
In principle you can keep on doing this as long as you want, but in your example they stop at some point, they just take what is left and write it at the end (in the numeric example, you could stop after
Code:
5)63 (12
   ---
   ---
and just say "I don't feel like keeping on doing this, so I'll just take the remainder and divide it by 5, which gives 12 + 3/5".

I was kidding, thank you though.

In that case, thanks for having me type it all out :P
You'd be surprised how many people are completely confused as soon as the words "long division" are said.

I'm sorry, i didnt thinnk you would type it all thge way out lol. But I do still appreciate your help.

Related to How Can I Solve This Division Problem?

1. What is a division problem?

A division problem is a mathematical equation that involves splitting a quantity into equal parts. It is represented by the symbol "÷" and is the opposite operation of multiplication.

2. What are the steps for solving a division problem?

The steps for solving a division problem are as follows:
1. Write the problem in the correct format, with the dividend (number being divided) on top and the divisor (number doing the dividing) on the bottom.
2. Estimate the answer by rounding the numbers to the nearest whole number.
3. Divide the first digit of the dividend by the divisor.
4. Multiply the quotient (answer) by the divisor and subtract it from the first set of digits in the dividend.
5. Bring down the next digit of the dividend and repeat the process until there are no more digits left.
6. Check your answer by multiplying the quotient by the divisor and adding any remainder. The result should equal the original dividend.

3. How do I know if I should use long division or short division to solve a problem?

The method you choose (long division or short division) depends on the numbers involved in the problem. If the divisor is a single digit number, you can use short division. If the divisor is a multi-digit number, you will need to use long division.

4. What is the purpose of using remainders in division problems?

Remainders are the amount left over after dividing the dividend by the divisor. They are used to show that the quantity cannot be divided equally and there is a remainder that needs to be accounted for. Remainders can also be expressed as a decimal or fraction in some cases.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a division problem?

If you are stuck on a division problem, you can try using tools such as a multiplication table or a calculator to assist with the calculations. You can also ask a teacher, tutor, or classmate for help. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are following the correct steps for solving a division problem.