How can I solve this 2nd degree differential equation?

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to solve a second degree differential equation with known constants. They mention that the solution involves trigonometry, but they are unsure of how to proceed. They also discuss the use of a minus sign and suggest multiplying through by X' as a potential solution method. The person being asked for help requests that the asker provide an attempt at a solution.
Kosta1234

Homework Statement

Hello.
I'm trying to do some problem and I can't solve some differential equation from the 2nd degree:

X'' - (F0 / ( d * m)) * X = 0

d, m, F are constant that are known

Homework Equations

I know that solution is a trigonometry equation. But I want to see how to solve this..

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kosta1234 said:
solution is a trigonometry equation
Not with that minus sign.*
One way to solve this is to multiply through by X'. Can you see how to proceed from there?

*Edit: unless you meant hyper trig.

Kosta1234 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

You have to provide an attempt at a solution. Please show what you have tried so far.

Related to How can I solve this 2nd degree differential equation?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves derivatives of an unknown function. It represents a relationship between a function and its derivatives, and is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves derivatives of a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves derivatives of multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model phenomena in one dimension, while partial differential equations are used to model phenomena in multiple dimensions.

3. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, biology, economics, and many others. They are used to model and analyze physical systems, such as the motion of objects, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

4. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding the exact mathematical expression for the unknown function, while numerical solutions use algorithms to approximate the solution. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are initial value problems and boundary value problems in differential equations?

An initial value problem involves finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies certain conditions at a specific point. These conditions are known as initial conditions. A boundary value problem involves finding a solution that satisfies conditions at multiple points, known as boundary conditions. Both types of problems are commonly encountered in applications of differential equations.