How Can I Solve a Problem Using Euler's Totient Function for Odd Prime Numbers?

• MHB
  • Thread starter goody1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution for all odd prime numbers, specifically the value of $\varphi(n)$. The conversation suggests looking at specific examples and identifying a general rule for these values. The focus is on finding the number of numbers less than $n$ that do not share a common divisor with $n$.
goody1
Hello everyone, can anybody help me with this problem?

pic.png

The solution is for all odd prime numbers, but I have no idea how to solve it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi goody,

Let's take this one step at a time by first looking at the right hand side, then the left hand side for odd primes. We will worry about the non-odd prime case later.

Let's think of some examples first. What is the value of $\varphi(5)$? How about $\varphi(7)$ and $\varphi(11)$? Can you see a general rule emerging from these examples? Now, if $n$ is an odd prime, what should the value of $\varphi(n)$ be? In other words, how many numbers less than $n$ do not share a common divisor with $n$?

Related to How Can I Solve a Problem Using Euler's Totient Function for Odd Prime Numbers?

What is Euler's totient function?

Euler's totient function, also known as Euler's phi function, is a mathematical function that counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given number that are relatively prime to that number.

What is the notation used for Euler's totient function?

The notation used for Euler's totient function is φ(n), where n is the given number.

How is Euler's totient function calculated?

Euler's totient function can be calculated using the formula φ(n) = n * (1-1/p1) * (1-1/p2) * ... * (1-1/pk), where p1, p2, ..., pk are the distinct prime factors of n.

What is the significance of Euler's totient function?

Euler's totient function has many applications in number theory and cryptography. It is also used in the RSA encryption algorithm.

What is the relationship between Euler's totient function and the Carmichael function?

The Carmichael function is a generalization of Euler's totient function. While Euler's totient function counts the number of integers relatively prime to a given number, the Carmichael function counts the number of integers with a given residue modulo n. The Carmichael function is always less than or equal to Euler's totient function.