How can i sketch the graph of a step function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the method for sketching the graph of a step function, with an example given. The function in question is N(t)=25(2|\frac{t+2}{2}|-t), where N(t) represents the function value and t represents the input value. The conversation includes a discussion on simplifying the expression and clarifying the type of step function being used. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a proposed solution for sketching the graph of the step function.
elton_fan
could you give me the method of sketching the graph of a step function
here is an example:
N(t)=25(2||t+2/2||-t)

thanks a lot for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Pleas write maths properly!

Do you mean:
[tex]N(t)=25(2|t+\frac{2}{2}|-t)[/tex]
Or:
[tex]N(t)=25(2|\frac{t+2}{2}|-t)[/tex]

second one. sorry don't be very furious since I'm new to the forum
[tex]N(t)=25(2|\frac{t+2}{2}|-t)[/tex]

I am only seething a little..

Now, "2" is a positive number!
Can you simplify the product between the "2" and the absolute value expression a bit?

no sorry isn't an absolute value
is a step function

Okay, is it a floor function (equal to the greatest integer lower than the argument), or a roof function (equal to the smallest integer greater than the argument)?

it's a greatest integer function

Last edited:
I'm unfamiliar with term "great integer function".

I'll proceed as if it is a floor function:

Now, we see that for t-values [itex]2n\leq{t}<{2(n+1)}[/tex], the floor function has the function value n+1

Thus, in that interval, we have:
[tex]50(n+1-2(n+1))\leq{N(t)}\leq{50}(n+1-2n)[/tex], having its maximum value at t=2n, descending linearly to the limiting value -50(n+1) at t=2(n+1)

i think the above ans wrong

mydarshankumar said:
i think the above ans wrong
Would you mind greatly telling why you think that?

Related to How can i sketch the graph of a step function

1. How do I identify a step function graph?

A step function graph is characterized by a series of horizontal or vertical line segments, with abrupt changes in direction at specific points along the graph.

2. What are the key features of a step function graph?

The key features of a step function graph include corner points, where the graph changes direction, and step points, where the graph changes from one horizontal or vertical line segment to another.

3. How do I plot a step function graph?

To plot a step function graph, first identify the corner points and step points. Then, mark these points on the graph and draw vertical or horizontal line segments to connect them, depending on the direction of the graph at each point.

4. Can a step function have a curved graph?

No, a step function cannot have a curved graph, as it is defined by a series of straight line segments. Any curved line would break the definition of a step function.

5. What are some real-world applications of step functions?

Step functions are commonly used in economics and finance to represent discontinuous changes in value, such as with taxes or interest rates. They are also used in computer science to represent binary values and in physics to model particle behavior.