How Can I Simplify Trigonometric Identities for Tomorrow's Quiz?

In summary, Kevin had a difficult time on his trigonometry test because he was not able to correctly verify each of the following trigonomic identities. He was unable to simplify either problem. If he were to help someone else solve one of these problems, he would need to know the steps for doing so.
kevinlikesphysics
i had a test and i got a 55 can someone show me how to do these with the steps if possibleverify each of the folloring trigonomic identities

1) 2sin^2x - 1/sinx-cosx = sinx+cosx*

did my steps wrong

2) cot^2x-cos^2x = cos^2xcot^2x

didnt get an answer <no clue how to do

simplify

1) 1+tanx/sinx+cosx*

1+ sec^2x <dont know

2) (sinx - 1)(tanx+secx)

i got cot^2x+1 < don't know

can someone just explain how to do them and work at least one or two out for me so i can pass the quiz thanks a lot the one swith the stars " * " are the ones i got the most points of any anyone who would work one of them out for me would be awsome

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, you must mean:

(2sin^2x - 1)/(sinx-cosx)

Try to be clearer with your notation. And what exactly is it that you say is wrong on the next line? Anyway, just expand one of the sin^2's in the numerator into 1-cos^2 and you'll get the difference of two squares, at which point you can factor and cancel.

no it suposed to equal that you are suposed to verify that they are equal

Hey Kevin. Sorry you had a bad time on your test!

It might be easier for us to read the problems if you use superscript tags to format your exponents. It's really simple to do. Just use the word sup enclosed with [] to begin and the /sup enclosed with [] to end for anything you want to show up raised and small. I think if you hit the reply button you'll see how I did the example below.

For instance, you could write a double angle formula like this:
cos 2x = cos2x - sin2x

Latex is ultimately better, but sometimes this (I think) is a little faster way of writing these things out.

Last edited:

Related to How Can I Simplify Trigonometric Identities for Tomorrow's Quiz?

1. What are trig identities?

Trig identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) and their reciprocal functions. They are used to simplify and manipulate these functions in order to solve equations and perform calculations.

2. Why is it important to simplify trig identities?

Simplifying trig identities can make solving equations and performing calculations easier and more efficient. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationships between trigonometric functions and can help in the process of proving more complex identities.

3. What are some common trig identities?

Some common trig identities include the Pythagorean identities (such as sin^2θ + cos^2θ = 1), the reciprocal identities (such as secθ = 1/cosθ), and the double angle identities (such as sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ).

4. How do you simplify trig identities?

To simplify a trig identity, you can use algebraic manipulation, trigonometric properties, and known identities to transform the expression into a simpler form. It may also involve factoring, expanding, and using common trigonometric identities.

5. How can I prepare for a simplifying trig identities quiz?

To prepare for a simplifying trig identities quiz, it is important to practice solving various types of identities. This can involve reviewing common identities, understanding the properties of trigonometric functions, and solving practice problems. It may also be helpful to create a cheat sheet or flashcards with important identities and their corresponding formulas.