How can I simplify this triple integral with unknown constants in Mathematica?

In summary, when attempting to integrate Coth[Sqrt[1-()^2]]/Sqrt[1-()^2]] the problem becomes difficult due to the unknown constants. It seems that Mathematica might not be able to do the full problem, and it might be helpful to try the 1 and 2 dimensional problems first.
Petar Mali
I need to calculate integral

[tex]\int^{\frac{2\pi}{a}}_{0}\int^{\frac{2\pi}{a}}_{0}\int^{\frac{2\pi}{a}}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(cosxa+cosya+cosza)^2}{9}}}ctgh(\frac{6SJ\sqrt{1-\frac{(cosxa+cosya+cosza)^2}{9}}}{2T})dxdydz[/tex]

[tex]a,S,J[/tex] are constants different then [tex]0[/tex].

I try to use Mathematica

[tex]N[\int^{\frac{2\pi}{a}}_{0}\int^{\frac{2\pi}{a}}_{0}\int^{\frac{2\pi}{a}}_{0}\frac{Coth[\frac{6SJ\sqrt{1-\frac{(Cos[x a]+Cos[y a]+Cos[z a])^2}{9}}}{2T}]}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(Cos[x a]+Cos[y a]+Cos[z a])^2}{9}}}dxdydz][/tex]

I try also to define [tex]a>0[/tex] but Mathematica don't give a result. Where is a problem? How can I dodefine this? Thanks for your answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it seems that Mathematica cannot do

Integrate[Coth[Sqrt[1 - Cos[x]^2/9]]/Sqrt[1 - Cos[x]^2/9], {x, 0, 2*Pi}]

it seems very unlikely it will be able to do your full problem

Last edited:
N[] won't work because you have unknown constants in the integral.

All of the a's can be scaled out of the integral to give a factor of a^{-3}.
If you differentiate the integral wrt S then you remove the outer square root.
You're left with an integrand like Csch[S Sqrt[1-()^2]]^2

Then you might need to start being smart -- try using the symmetries and changes of variables to simplify it down. Sqrt[1-()^2] makes you think of cos^2+sin^2=1...

In terms of aiding mathematica -- I've already removed the constant 'a' from the integral. All of the other constants can be combined into one. Too many free parameters (even if they can be combined) often make it more difficult for the integration routine.

Since there is only one parameter left, you can try (numerically) integrating for various values of the parameter -- eg low integers. This might give you some clues and you might be able to guess what the final form is. Also maybe a series expansion...

Also try doing the 1 and 2 dimensional problems first - see if that gives you any ideas.

Post any more questions and results here for us to look at.

Good luck

Related to How can I simplify this triple integral with unknown constants in Mathematica?

What is Wolfram Mathematica integral?

Wolfram Mathematica integral is a powerful mathematical software program that is used for symbolic and numerical computation. It is widely used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians for solving complex mathematical problems.

How does Wolfram Mathematica integral work?

Wolfram Mathematica integral uses advanced algorithms and symbolic computation techniques to evaluate mathematical integrals. It can handle a wide range of mathematical functions and expressions, making it a versatile tool for solving complex integrals.

What are the benefits of using Wolfram Mathematica integral?

Wolfram Mathematica integral offers many benefits to scientists and mathematicians. It allows for accurate and efficient computation of integrals, it can handle both symbolic and numerical calculations, and it has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to use.

Can Wolfram Mathematica integral be used for integration in multiple dimensions?

Yes, Wolfram Mathematica integral is capable of evaluating integrals in multiple dimensions, including one, two, and three dimensions. It also has the ability to handle integrals with complex variables and functions.

Are there any limitations of Wolfram Mathematica integral?

While Wolfram Mathematica integral is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to solve all integrals, especially those with very complex functions. Additionally, it may require some manual input and tweaking to get accurate results in certain cases.