How Can I Simplify an Equation Involving Levi-Civita Tensors and Indices?

In summary, the equation says that the partial derivatives of ##G^{\mu\nu}## with respect to ##\mu## and ##\rho## are equal, but the partial derivatives of ##G_{\rho\sigma}## with respect to ##\sigma## are not. If you want to get rid of the ##\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}## in the second term, you need to multiply the equation by some other ##\epsilon## with different set of indices, but I could use some help in knowing what those incides must be to avoid repeating dummy indices and at the same time being able to end up with an equation with
PhyAmateur
I have an equation that says $$C_1\partial_{\mu}G^{\mu\nu}+C_2\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\partial_{\mu}G_{\rho\sigma}=0$$ If I want to get rid of the ##\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}## in the second term, I know I must multiply the equation by some other ##\epsilon## with different set of indices, but I could use some help in knowing what those incides must be to avoid repeating dummy indices and at the same time being able to end up with an equation with a new epsilon present in the first term (the one with ##C_1##). My aim from all this process is to convert the first ##G^{\mu\nu}## to ##\star G^{\mu\nu}##, i.e., the Hodge dual of ##G^{\mu\nu}##. Any tip will do it, thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest starting by rewriting the ##G^{\mu\nu}## in terms of the components of the hodge dual, this should get you started.

Do you mean that ##\tilde{G}^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}G_{\rho\sigma}##?

Yes, but if you want the left term to be expressed in the hodge dual, you need to invert that expression.

Yes, that is what I am having troubles in. To take the epsilon to the other side where the index placement is giving me a hard time.

I will give it a shot though I feel I am mistaken: Maybe, this would be more like: ##2\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\tilde{G}_{\rho\sigma}=G^{\mu\nu}##? Is this by any chance correct? @Orodruin

How does the ##\varepsilon##-##\delta## relation look in four dimensions?

This part of the wikipedia entry on the Kronecker delta and its generalisation might help.

$$\epsilon^{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}\epsilon_{\mu\nu\rho'\sigma'}=-2(\delta^{\rho}_{\rho'}\delta^{\sigma}_{\sigma'}-\delta^{\rho}_{\sigma'}\delta^{\sigma}_{\rho'})$$

I hope this is what you mean as I am new to those terminologies and to differential geometry in general. Please bear with me @Orodruin .

Related to How Can I Simplify an Equation Involving Levi-Civita Tensors and Indices?

What are indices and why are they important?

Indices are mathematical notations used to represent repeated multiplication of a number by itself. They are important because they allow for easier and more efficient representation of large numbers or repeated calculations.

What are the common difficulties with indices?

Some common difficulties with indices include understanding the rules for simplifying and manipulating them, confusion between indices and exponents, and difficulty in converting between different forms of indices (e.g. fractional indices to radical form).

How can I simplify expressions with indices?

To simplify expressions with indices, you must follow the rules for index notation. These include multiplying indices with the same base by adding their powers, dividing indices with the same base by subtracting their powers, and raising a power to another power by multiplying the powers. You can also use the laws of exponents to simplify expressions with indices.

What is the difference between rational and irrational indices?

Rational indices are indices that can be expressed as a fraction, while irrational indices cannot. Rational indices can be easily simplified and converted to other forms, while irrational indices may require more complex methods of simplification.

How are indices used in real-life applications?

Indices are commonly used in fields such as finance, engineering, and science to represent quantities that are repeatedly multiplied or divided. They are also used in computer programming languages and data structures to efficiently store and manipulate large amounts of data.