How can I show with the definition that f is continuous?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the function $f(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}\frac{e^x-1}{x} &, x \neq 0 \\ 1& ,x=0\end{matrix}\right.$ is integrable in the interval $[0,1]$. It is stated that if a function is continuous on an interval, then it is also integrable on that interval. The process of showing the continuity of $f(x)$ is then discussed using the definition of continuity. Finally, it is shown that the limit $\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^x-1}{x}$ can be demonstrated without using L
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smile)
I am given this exercise:
$$f(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
\frac{e^x-1}{x} &, x \neq 0 \\
1& ,x=0
\end{matrix}\right. , x \in [0,1]$$

Show that $f$ is integrable in $[0,1]$,knowing that if $f:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$, $f$ continuous,then $f$ is integrable in $[a,b]$.

So,I have to show that $f$ is continuous at the whole interval $[0,1]$.

It is: $\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{e^x-1}{x}=\lim_{x \to 0} e^x=1=f(0)$
So, $f$ is continuous at $0$

But how can I show it,using the definition of the continuity?

Let $\epsilon>0$.
We want to show that $\exists \delta>0$ such that $\forall x \in [0,1]$ with $|x-0|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(0)| < \epsilon \Rightarrow |f(x)|< \epsilon$

How can I continue? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well first of all, if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| f(x) - f(0) \right| < \epsilon \end{align*}$, then $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| f(x) - 1 \right| < \epsilon \end{align*}$, not $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| f(x) \right| \end{align*}$.

evinda said:
Hello! (Smile)
I am given this exercise:
$$f(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
\frac{e^x-1}{x} &, x \neq 0 \\
1& ,x=0
\end{matrix}\right. , x \in [0,1]$$

Show that $f$ is integrable in $[0,1]$,knowing that if $f:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$, $f$ continuous,then $f$ is integrable in $[a,b]$.

So,I have to show that $f$ is continuous at the whole interval $[0,1]$.

It is: $\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{e^x-1}{x}=\lim_{x \to 0} e^x=1=f(0)$
So, $f$ is continuous at $0$

But how can I show it,using the definition of the continuity?

Let $\epsilon>0$.
We want to show that $\exists \delta>0$ such that $\forall x \in [0,1]$ with $|x-0|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(0)| < \epsilon \Rightarrow |f(x)|< \epsilon$

How can I continue? :confused:

The limit...

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac {e^{x}-1}{x}\ (1)$

... is demonstrated without using L'Hopital rule starting from the basic definition...$\displaystyle \lim_{\xi \rightarrow \infty} (1 + \frac{1}{\xi})^{\ \xi} = e\ (2)$

Setting $\displaystyle e^{x} = 1 + \frac{1}{\xi}$ we obtain...

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^{x} - 1}{x} = \lim_{\xi \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{\xi\ \ln (1 + \frac{1}{\xi})} = \lim_{\xi \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{ \ln (1 + \frac{1}{\xi})^ {\xi}} = \frac{1}{\ln e} =1\ (3)$

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

Since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} e^x = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!} \end{align*}$, that means

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} e^x &= 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} + \dots \\ e^x - 1 &= x + \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} + \dots \\ \frac{e^x - 1}{x} &= 1 + \frac{x}{2} + \frac{x^2}{3!} + \frac{x^3}{4!} +\dots \end{align*}$

So if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| f(x) - f(0) \right| < \epsilon \end{align*}$ that means

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| 1 + \frac{x}{2} + \frac{x^2}{3!} + \frac{x^3}{4!} + \dots - 1 \right| &< \epsilon \\ \left| \frac{x}{2} + \frac{x^2}{3!} + \frac{x^3}{4!} + \dots \right| &< \epsilon \\ \left| x \right| \left| \frac{1}{2} + \frac{x}{3!} + \frac{x^2}{4!} + \dots \right| &< \epsilon \end{align*}$

Now if we restrict $\displaystyle \begin{align*} |x| < 1 \end{align*}$, that means

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| \frac{1}{2} + \frac{x}{3!} + \frac{x^2}{4!} + \dots \right| &< \left| \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3!} + \frac{1}{4!} + \dots \right| \\ &= \left| 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3!} + \frac{1}{4!} + \dots - 1 \right| \\ &= \left| e - 1 \right| \end{align*}$

So that means you can set $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \delta = \min \left\{ 1, \frac{\epsilon}{e - 1} \right\} \end{align*}$ and you can start the proof :)

To show that $f$ is continuous at $x=0$, we need to show that for any given $\epsilon>0$, there exists a $\delta>0$ such that for all $x\in [0,1]$ with $|x-0|<\delta$, we have $|f(x)-f(0)|<\epsilon$.

Since we know that $f(0)=1$, we can rewrite the above inequality as $|f(x)-1|<\epsilon$. Now, using the definition of $f(x)$, we have:

$|f(x)-1|=\left|\frac{e^x-1}{x}-1\right|=\left|\frac{e^x-1-x}{x}\right|=\left|\frac{e^x-x-1}{x}\right|=\left|\frac{e^x-x}{x}-\frac{1}{x}\right|$

Since we are considering the interval $[0,1]$, we know that $x\neq 0$ and therefore $\frac{1}{x}$ is well-defined. Now, for any given $\epsilon>0$, we can choose a $\delta>0$ such that both $\left|\frac{e^x-x}{x}\right|<\epsilon$ and $\left|\frac{1}{x}\right|<\epsilon$ hold for all $x\in [0,1]$ with $|x-0|<\delta$. This is possible because both $\frac{e^x-x}{x}$ and $\frac{1}{x}$ are continuous functions on $[0,1]$.

Therefore, we have shown that for any given $\epsilon>0$, we can find a $\delta>0$ such that for all $x\in [0,1]$ with $|x-0|<\delta$, we have $|f(x)-1|<\epsilon$. This satisfies the definition of continuity at $x=0$ and thus, $f$ is continuous on the interval $[0,1]$.

Related to How can I show with the definition that f is continuous?

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity for a function f at a point x=a is that the limit of f(x) as x approaches a is equal to the value of f at x=a. This means that as x gets closer and closer to a, the function values also get closer and closer to the value of f at a.

2. How can I use the definition to show that a function is continuous?

To show that a function is continuous, you need to prove that the limit of the function at a point x=a is equal to the value of the function at x=a. This can be done by evaluating the limit algebraically, using the definition of continuity, and showing that it equals the value of the function at x=a.

3. Can I use the definition of continuity to prove that a function is not continuous?

Yes, you can use the definition of continuity to prove that a function is not continuous. If the limit of the function at a point x=a does not equal the value of the function at x=a, then the function is not continuous at that point.

4. Are there any other ways to prove that a function is continuous?

Yes, there are other ways to prove that a function is continuous, such as using the intermediate value theorem, the epsilon-delta definition of continuity, or visualizing the graph of the function. However, the definition of continuity is the most basic and fundamental way to prove continuity.

5. Can the definition of continuity be applied to all types of functions?

Yes, the definition of continuity can be applied to all types of functions, including polynomials, rational functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and many others. However, some functions may require additional techniques or tools to prove continuity, such as piecewise functions or functions with removable discontinuities.