How can I rearrange this equation to find vo/vs?

• Thread starter NewtonianAlch
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation for vo/vs in a circuit analysis transfer function. The person is confused about getting just vo/vs and mentions avoiding complex numbers. It is suggested to divide both sides by vs, but the person explains that vs is a complex variable in circuit analysis. The conversation ends with the realization that the analysis may have been done incorrectly.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

231.jpg

I want to solve this equation for

vo/vs

How can I go about doing this properly? I can get vo/vs^2 -- but I'm confused as to getting just vo/vs

Edit: Without it involving any kind of complex numbers, this is a transfer function.

Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement

231.jpg

I want to solve this equation for

vo/vs

How can I go about doing this properly? I can get vo/vs^2 -- but I'm confused as to getting just vo/vs

Edit: Without it involving any kind of complex numbers, this is a transfer function.

If you just divide both sides by vs you are done. Why is that a problem?

RGV

vo/vs is a function of vs - there's no way to make it independent.

Ray Vickson said:
If you just divide both sides by vs you are done. Why is that a problem?

RGV

Because, there would still be a vs hanging around on the RHS of the equation.

It doesn't matter now anyhow, this was part of a circuit analysis transfer function. It seems I have done my analysis wrong. Would have been interesting if it were possible though.

Thanks for the responses.

s is a complex variable in circuit analysis. You're sure you weren't looking for Vo/V (ie the s is *not* a subscript but a factor).

Related to How can I rearrange this equation to find vo/vs?

What is the process for rearranging an equation?

The process for rearranging an equation involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation by performing the same mathematical operations on both sides. This allows you to solve for the variable and obtain a new form of the equation.

How do I move terms from one side of the equation to the other?

To move terms from one side of the equation to the other, you must use the properties of equality. This means performing the inverse operation on both sides of the equation. For example, if there is a term added to one side, you must subtract it from both sides.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when rearranging an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when rearranging an equation include performing different operations on each side, forgetting to distribute terms, and not following the order of operations. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are performing the same operations on both sides of the equation.

Can an equation be rearranged in multiple ways?

Yes, an equation can be rearranged in multiple ways as long as the properties of equality are followed. This means that the solution to the equation will remain the same, but the form of the equation may look different.

Why is it important to rearrange an equation?

Rearranging an equation allows you to solve for a specific variable and manipulate the equation to fit different scenarios. It also helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to understand and work with.