How Can I Prove the Centripetal Force Equation f=mrw^2 Using Experiments?

In summary, The speaker is asking for help to prove the equation f=mrw2 using a rotational air table and a handheld experiment. They are unsure of what variable to change and what effect it will have. Another person suggests checking the equation and altering mass, radius, and angular velocity for accurate results. The speaker thanks the person for pointing out a possible typo in their equation.
magicjambon
Hi there, sorry if this is not in the right section, but i have to do an investigation, i have chosen to prove f=mrw2. I will be using a rotational air table, and this the handheld whirly string and mass experiment - sorry to be vague. basically i am not the best physicist so i would very much appreciate if anyone could tell me what variable to change, and the consequent desired effect in my endevour to prove the equation. I am confused. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can somebody please tell me how i can prove f=mrw? i have rotational air table and a manual method available. Can i for each experiment change the variables of the equation and show the force change and show how it complies? For instance in one experiment i will alter mass, another i will alter radius and the last angular velocity? Thanks

The proof is in the calculus; the lab results compare your measurements with the calculated ones. Better check that equation though before you compare anything. Altering mass, radius, and angular velocity is a very good idea...

thanks for your reply, in relation to checking the equation - I am not sure what you mean sorry

magicjambon said:
thanks for your reply, in relation to checking the equation - I am not sure what you mean sorry
In post 2 I guess you made a typo error. F = m(w^2)r.

ahh right thanks

Related to How Can I Prove the Centripetal Force Equation f=mrw^2 Using Experiments?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and prevent it from moving in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force related to centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are two forces that are often confused with each other. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on an object as it moves in a circular path. It is actually the result of the object's inertia, and its direction is opposite to the centripetal force.

3. How can centripetal force be calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What are some examples of centripetal force in everyday life?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include a car turning around a curve, a ball rotating on a string, and satellites orbiting around the Earth.

5. How is centripetal force proved?

Centripetal force can be proved by conducting experiments that demonstrate the relationship between the force, velocity, and radius of an object moving in a circular path. Additionally, the mathematical formula for centripetal force can also be used to prove its existence and calculate its magnitude.