How can I prove that (x p)^2 is not equal to (x)^2 (p)^2 in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in quantum mechanics where the goal is to prove that (x p)^2 is not equal to (x)^2 (p)^2, using the fact that two operators are equal if their actions on all functions are equal and the commutator identity [AB,CD] = A[B,C]D + etc. One participant suggests using explicit differential operators, while another suggests a simpler approach using the fact that if xpxp = xxpp, then px = xp, which implies that the operators x and p commute. The conversation ends with the participants successfully solving the problem and deciding to delete their posts to avoid giving away the solution.
neelakash

Homework Statement

I got stuck to this problem:

To prove that (x p)^2 is not equal to (x)^2 (p)^2

where x and p are position and mometum operator in QM.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I approached this way:

Two operators A and B are equal iff Af=Bf for all f

So,here {(x p)^2 - (x)^2 (p)^2}f=0

Since this is valid for all f, we must have {(x p)^2 - (x)^2 (p)^2}=0

In other words, [(x p)^2 , (x)^2 (p)^2 ]=0

But I could not disprove this commutator.Calculations are big and after some steps I doubt whether this might at all be the correct way.

Can anyone please give some hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
(xp)^2 = xpxp

if xpxp = xxpp, then what can we say about [x,p] = xp - px ?

neelakash said:

Homework Statement

I got stuck to this problem:

To prove that (x p)^2 is not equal to (x)^2 (p)^2

where x and p are position and mometum operator in QM.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I approached this way:

Two operators A and B are equal iff Af=Bf for all f

So,here {(x p)^2 - (x)^2 (p)^2}f=0

Since this is valid for all f, we must have {(x p)^2 - (x)^2 (p)^2}=0

In other words, [(x p)^2 , (x)^2 (p)^2 ]=0

But I could not disprove this commutator.Calculations are big and after some steps I doubt whether this might at all be the correct way.

Can anyone please give some hint?

You can indeed do it with commutators (the identity [AB,CD] = A[B,C]D + etc would be useful) or here it might be simpler to work with explicit differential operators. Just replace the operator p by its usual expression and apply the two expressions to a test function. Obviously, X^2 p^2 f is simply [tex]- \hbar^2 x^2 \frac{d^2f}{dx^2} [/tex]. Calculating the other one won't be too hard and you will see if you get the same result (you won't).

malawi_glenn said:
kdv: isn't easier to see that if xpxp = xxpp, then px = xp ?

But xpxp is NOT equal to xxpp!

malawi_glenn said:
Iknow, but you missed my point.

IF xpxp = xxpp, then px = xp since

xpxp = x(px)p and xxpp = x(xp)p, so the things inside the paranthesis must be the same, i.e:

px = xp, and if that holds, what can one say about the commutator: [x,p] = xp - px ?

Oh, I see your point. yes, that's a nice way to see right away that the two expressions can't be equal because they would imply that x and p commute. That's nice and quick indeed.

Regards

kdv said:
Oh, I see your point. yes, that's a nice way to see right away that the two expressions can't be equal because they would imply that x and p commute. That's nice and quick indeed.

Regards

Now we solved the problem for the OP, which is not so good. So I propose we delete our latest posts :)

EDIT: too late ;)

I should have taken the discussion with you kdv via PM ;)

I got glenn's point. Really, it is lot easier.

I also tried in the way kdv indicated.But that did not work.This is really much more simple.

neelakash said:
I got glenn's point. Really, it is lot easier.

I also tried in the way kdv indicated.But that did not work.This is really much more simple.

Doing it the other wat should aslo work, remember that an operator operates on EVERYTHING to the right of it, for example

[tex] px\psi (x)= p(x \psi (x) ) = \frac{d}{dx}(x \psi (x)) [/tex]

where the last thing is evaluated according to the leibniz product rule for derivatives. Here i have omitted hbar and the imaginary unit from the p-operator just to make things clearer.

Related to How can I prove that (x p)^2 is not equal to (x)^2 (p)^2 in quantum mechanics?

1. What is a quantum operator problem?

A quantum operator problem is a mathematical problem in quantum mechanics that involves the use of operators to describe the behavior and properties of quantum systems. These operators represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy, and they act on quantum states to produce measurable results.

2. What are the types of quantum operators?

There are several types of quantum operators, including Hermitian operators, unitary operators, and projective operators. Hermitian operators represent physical observables and have real eigenvalues, while unitary operators preserve the normalization of quantum states. Projective operators correspond to measurement outcomes and have orthogonal eigenstates.

3. How do you solve a quantum operator problem?

Solving a quantum operator problem involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the operator. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as diagonalization or finding the expectation value of the operator in a given quantum state. The results of these calculations can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of the quantum system.

4. What is the significance of quantum operators?

Quantum operators are crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and making predictions about their properties. They allow us to describe and manipulate the quantum world using mathematical tools, and they play a central role in many important concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the superposition of states.

5. Can quantum operators be measured?

No, quantum operators cannot be measured directly. Instead, they represent physical observables that can be measured indirectly through the use of measurement operators. The measurement process in quantum mechanics involves the collapse of the quantum state into one of the eigenstates of the measurement operator, corresponding to the measured value of the observable.