How can I prove that this 2D expression is always less than 1 for n≠β?

In summary: It's about the same problem as calculus, but posed in terms of functions.In summary, the conversation discusses reducing a ratio of two functions to a simplified form and the question of how to show that the expression is always less than 1 for n≠β, and how to find the maximum for varying n and β. The speaker also mentions playing around with the formula and using functional analysis to solve the problem.
Karthiksrao
Hello,

While analysing the asymptotic value of a ratio of a bessel and a hankel function, I reduced it to something of the form

[(1 + β/n)^ n * (1 + n/β)^ β] / 2^(n+β) ; n and β are integers and greater than 1

how do I show that the above expression is always less than 1, for n≠β. When n=β, the above expression becomes equal to 1.

Or relatedly, if I have to find the line of maximum for a 2D expression given above (for varying n and β), how do I go about ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Karthiksrao said:
Hello,

While analysing the asymptotic value of a ratio of a bessel and a hankel function, I reduced it to something of the form

[(1 + β/n)^ n * (1 + n/β)^ β] / 2^(n+β) ; n and β are integers and greater than 1

how do I show that the above expression is always less than 1, for n≠β. When n=β, the above expression becomes equal to 1.

Or relatedly, if I have to find the line of maximum for a 2D expression given above (for varying n and β), how do I go about ?

Thanks!

I've played around with this a little. This formula is symmetric in β,n with two variables but as mentioned, β = n is enough to give the maximum value.

Let x = 1 + n/β, y = n + β.
Thus ##\frac{y}{x} = β, \frac{y(x-1)}{x} = n## and x > 1, y ≥ 2.

The formula simplifies to
##[ \frac{1}{2} x (x-1)^{\frac{1}{x} - 1} ]^y##

Y is irrelevant here, it won't affect which x gives the maximum. Discarding y, the derivative of what remains has numerator
##-(x-1)^{\frac{1}{x}} ln(x-1)##

The exponential part is never 0, therefore x = 2 is the only stationary point. I hope this is not the best way to show this.

Your question is from calculus, or mathematical analysis if you prefer. Functional analysis is built on point set topology and is an abstractization of calculus.

Related to How can I prove that this 2D expression is always less than 1 for n≠β?

What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that focuses on studying the structure and behavior of mathematical functions. It involves applying various algebraic and analytical techniques to analyze and understand the properties and relationships of functions.

What are some applications of functional analysis?

Functional analysis has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze systems, such as electrical circuits and control systems, and to study optimization problems and differential equations.

What is the difference between functional analysis and other branches of mathematics?

Functional analysis is often considered a more abstract and theoretical branch of mathematics compared to other branches like calculus or linear algebra. It deals with infinite-dimensional spaces and focuses on the properties of functions rather than individual values or numbers.

What are some key concepts in functional analysis?

Some important concepts in functional analysis include normed spaces, topological spaces, linear operators, and Banach spaces. These concepts are used to study the properties of functions and their behavior in different mathematical spaces.

How can functional analysis be useful in scientific research?

Functional analysis can be applied in various scientific fields to study and analyze complex systems and phenomena. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of mathematical functions, making it a valuable tool for scientists in their research and experimentation.