How can I prepare a 25 degree brix 100ml solution with sucrose?

In summary, the density of sucrose is 1.59g/cm^{2}, so to make a 25% w/w solution, you would need 3x the mass of water as sucrose.
miniradman
Hello there, I'm learning how to make wine in my Chemistry class and the first task we had to do is prepare a 100ml solution with a 25% sucrose content. However, I don't know where to begin. I know that 25 grams of sugar plus 75 grams of water will not add up to 100mls of solution.

I've done something like this before with volume contraction of ethanol and water and remember something about density? Well the density of sucrose is [itex]1.59g/cm^{2}[/itex] and water is going to be assumed to be [itex]1 g/cm^{2}[/itex] (because we are using tap water)

How do I approach this?

thank you - miniradman

Physics news on Phys.org
"25% solution" by what? You can prepare concentrations by volume, mass, number of molecules and they all are different.

You talk about the mass density of sucrose so I suppose you mean by mass or weight. To have a 25% solution (.25= 1/4), you must have three times the mass of water as sucrose. If, for example, you have 1 kg of sucrose, you must dissolve it in 3 kg of water to have a total mass of 4 kg. so that the sucrose is 1 kg/4kg= 1/4= 25% of the whole mass. You need the density of sucrose only if you are measuring it by volume. Of course, for water, at standard temperature and pressure, 1 g mass is equal to 1 cm volume.

yes, but if I put 25 grams of sugar, and 75 grams of water, it will not give me a 100ml solution due to the differences in intermolecular forces, and the sheer size of the sucrose molecule in comparision to the water molecule?

You need an exact density of the 25% w/w sucrose solution (take it from density tables) - that will let you calculate mass of 100 mL of the solution. Once you know that calculating masses of sucrose and water is a breeze.

is there any way I can find the weight needed using mathematical calculations over pre-made tables?

No.

˙

Related to How can I prepare a 25 degree brix 100ml solution with sucrose?

1. How do I calculate the amount of sucrose needed to prepare a 25 degree brix 100ml solution?

To prepare a 25 degree brix 100ml solution, you will need to use a formula known as the "brix formula." The formula is as follows: (desired brix / (100 - desired brix)) x desired volume (in ml) = weight of sucrose needed (in grams). In this case, the desired brix is 25 and the desired volume is 100ml, so the formula would be (25 / (100 - 25)) x 100ml = 33.33 grams of sucrose.

2. How can I accurately measure out the amount of sucrose needed for the solution?

The most accurate way to measure out the amount of sucrose needed is by using a scale. Make sure to use a scale that measures in grams and weigh out the amount calculated in the brix formula (33.33 grams in this case).

3. Is it necessary to use distilled water to prepare the solution?

Yes, it is recommended to use distilled water to prepare the solution as it is free from impurities and will ensure the most accurate results.

4. Can I use any type of sucrose for the solution?

Yes, any type of sucrose can be used as long as it is pure and does not contain any other ingredients.

5. How do I mix the sucrose and water to prepare the solution?

To prepare the solution, first measure out the calculated amount of sucrose and add it to the 100ml of distilled water. Stir the mixture until the sucrose is fully dissolved. You now have a 25 degree brix 100ml solution with sucrose.