How Can I Join Stainless Steel Mesh to Create a Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a way to join a thin strip of stainless steel mesh to form a cylinder for use in an inline "Y" type strainer. The current method used is a heat crimp or non welding/soldering method, but the participants suggest using soldering, deep-forming a perforated sheet, or brazing as alternative methods. The main concern is maintaining the water flow through the strainer without impinging it. The participants also share links to resources for brazing stainless steel and thank each other for the suggestions.
MechEng91
Hi I need a way of joining a very thin strip of stainless steel mesh to form a cylinder.

It forms the 300 micron mesh cylinder that sits inside a inline "Y" type strainer.

The one i have currently doesn't seem to be joined by adhesive but by a heat crimp or sum sort of non welding/soldering method.

Any ideas

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
i think soldering is your only shot my friend, but if you gave a better insight as to what its needed for maybe we can come up with some other method.

http://www.globalvalves.com.au/valves/STRAINER VALVES/STR-74A-Rev01.pdf

Ok the strainer is much like the one above and you can get the mesh in steel, alumin, ss etc. Its used to filter water being injected at pressure into some jets for underground coal dust suppression. We were looking to by the filter mesh with 300 micron and 100 micron filtration. It may take more to manufacture however currently we haven't sourced anything under 800 micron in filtration.

So in essence its just a throw away filter of sorts. Just need a way of forming a cylinder without soldering this very fine mesh. It shouldn't impinge the flow of water, hence no solder.

Unless you can deep-form a perforated sheet into a cup, you would seem to need a seam...

Given that it will be disposable, can you over-size it and close the overlap with a sandwich of welded strip metal ?

Nik_2213 said:
Unless you can deep-form a perforated sheet into a cup, you would seem to need a seam...

Given that it will be disposable, can you over-size it and close the overlap with a sandwich of welded strip metal ?

That is a very good idea Nik however i don't want to impinge the flow of water through the strainer. There is a seem on the one i have currently however I am not quite sure if it stuck together by adhesive but blowing air through the seam it doesn't seem to be.

Nik_2213 said:

I had a similar question but your advice on the perforated sheet has helped greatly.

MechEng91 said:
Hi I need a way of joining a very thin strip of stainless steel mesh to form a cylinder.

It forms the 300 micron mesh cylinder that sits inside a inline "Y" type strainer.

The one i have currently doesn't seem to be joined by adhesive but by a heat crimp or sum sort of non welding/soldering method.

Any ideas

Cheers
Brazing may the way to go unless one can spot weld.

http://www.abbottfurnace.com/technology/technical-papers-pdf/stainless-brazing.pdf

http://www.stainless-online.com/manufacturing/braze-stainless-tubing.htm

http://www.aws.org/wj/2004/10/030/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the ideas guys. Been a great help

Cheers

Related to How Can I Join Stainless Steel Mesh to Create a Cylinder?

What is stainless steel mesh?

Stainless steel mesh is a type of woven wire mesh made from high-quality stainless steel. It is commonly used in various industrial and commercial applications due to its strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion.

What is the process for joining stainless steel mesh?

The process for joining stainless steel mesh typically involves welding, soldering, or crimping the individual wires together. These methods create a strong bond between the wires and ensure the mesh remains securely attached.

What type of welding is used for joining stainless steel mesh?

TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding is the most commonly used method for joining stainless steel mesh. It involves using a tungsten electrode to create an arc between the electrode and the mesh, which melts the edges of the wires and fuses them together.

What are the benefits of joining stainless steel mesh?

Joining stainless steel mesh allows for the creation of custom sizes and shapes, making it suitable for a wide range of applications. It also increases the strength and durability of the mesh, making it more resistant to wear and tear.

Is it possible to join different types of stainless steel mesh together?

Yes, it is possible to join different types of stainless steel mesh together. However, it is important to ensure that the materials used are compatible and have similar melting points to avoid any issues during the joining process.