How can I integrate e^-x sinx using parts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function \int e^{-x}sinx dx using integration by parts. It is mentioned that functions with infinite numbers of successive differentials can be evaluated using this method. However, since both e^{-x} and sinx have infinite numbers of successive differentials, the function must be integrated by parts twice. The conversation also mentions a neater method of integration using complex variables.
misogynisticfeminist
I've got a function [tex] \int e^{-x}sinx dx [/tex]

From what I know, only functions which has one or more products with a finite number of successive differentials can be evaluated using integration by parts. Because for [tex]\int v du [/tex]in our choice of du, we want to cut down on the number of times we have to evaluate it using integration by parts again.

Since both [tex]e^{-x}[/tex] and [tex]sinx[/tex] have infinite nos. of successive differentials, how do i evaluate that?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to integrate by parts TWICE, after which the Sin() will recur and can be combined with the original Sin() on the same side of the equation. Divide both sides by 2 to arrive at your answer.

~~

Last edited:
hey, i didn't saw that, thanks alot...

There is a much neater way to integrate the function. Hint : What is the imaginary part of [tex]e^{(-1 + i)x}[/tex] ?

EDIT : Nevermind, here's the whole solution since it's only an extra (but "cool" method). z is the constant of integration, with c being the imaginary part of the constant.

[tex]\int e^{-x}\sin x dx = Im(\int e^{(-1 + i)x} dx) = Im(\frac{1}{-1 + i}e^{(-1 + i)x} + z)[/tex]

which can be further simplified to [tex]-\frac{1}{2}e^{-x}(\sin x + \cos x) + c[/tex]

Last edited:
I would normally second the complex variable method (since it goes nicely in the theory of Laplace transformations),but the exarcise required part integration,which of course,requires in turn less mathematical knowledge...

Daniel.

Related to How can I integrate e^-x sinx using parts?

1. What is integration by parts and why is it useful?

Integration by parts is a method used to evaluate integrals by breaking them down into simpler integrals. It involves using the product rule of differentiation to rewrite the original integral in a different form. This method is useful when the original integral is difficult or impossible to solve using traditional techniques.

2. How do I know when to use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integrand contains a product of two functions, where one function becomes simpler when differentiated and the other becomes simpler when integrated. This is known as the "LIATE" rule, which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential functions. If the integrand contains two of these types of functions, integration by parts may be a good method to use.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and du and dv are their differentials. This formula is derived from the product rule of differentiation.

4. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. For definite integrals, the limits of integration must be substituted into the final expression after the integration by parts process is completed.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for using integration by parts?

One helpful tip for using integration by parts is to choose u and dv in a strategic way to make the resulting integral simpler. Another tip is to try multiple iterations of integration by parts if the first attempt does not lead to a solution. Practice and familiarity with different types of integrals will also make the process easier over time.