How Can I Improve the Magnetic Force on a Conductor in My Physics Project?

In summary, a high school student is trying to setup two magnets with opposite poles facing each other with a space in between. He is missing information about the magnets' field strength, and he is hoping someone can help him. The current produced by the batteries is too weak, and he is hoping someone can give him more information about what is generally required for this experiment.
SuccessTheory

Homework Statement

I am conceptualizing for a high school physics project and what I am currently trying to do is setup two ceramic magnets with opposite poles facing each other, but with a space in between. Next I have a wire running in between that is connected to a 1.5V power supply consisting of four AAA zinc chloride batteries in parallel. The wire is supposed to jump according to the right hand rule, however when I activate the on switch in the battery holder, nothing happens on a visible level. The connections are fine since I have tested it on a light bulb

Homework Equations

F=IlBsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the tricky part since I am missing some definite numerical data. I assume that the force generated is very small.
What I do know:
The wire is perpendicular to the magnets so sinθ=1. The length of the wire is close to 1m.

What I don't know:
The magnets are small ceramic magnets (12mm in diameter, and 4mm and 6mm in height), of decent strength for their size, but no numerical info about their field strength was provided during purchase. So the value of B is missing, but can be found out through a kinetics based investigation. I would have to weigh the magnets though, and currently don't have access to a precise balance.

I have searched online for info on the current produced by AAA batteries to no avail. Most sites are providing mA hours, and I can't derive a current from that without knowing the hours. However I am guessing the current is too weak.

I am hoping some experienced people can know what is generally required for this experiment. Would there be a problem if the wire is insulated? Or what if the conducting threads were wound in a spiral or helix like formation... would that effect the angle? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I have determined that the current is approx 0.086 Amps and that it was the static friction of the wire on the wood surface that prevented movement. When I let the wire hang, there was a notable force. I would still liked to know if insulation around wires reduce the magnetic fields created by currents moving through the wires.

When I saw this experiment done it was done with a HUGE wire, I am talking 1/2" thick, and the magnet was huge. Current was dangerously high as well(300A), the wire got hot fast. I wouldn't suggest trying it. (in fact you would be crazy if you tried it)

Last edited:

Related to How Can I Improve the Magnetic Force on a Conductor in My Physics Project?

1. What is magnetic force on a conductor?

Magnetic force on a conductor refers to the force exerted on a current-carrying conductor when placed in a magnetic field. It is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the moving charges in the conductor.

2. How is magnetic force on a conductor calculated?

The magnetic force on a conductor can be calculated using the formula F = ILBsinθ, where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the conductor, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic force on a conductor?

The direction of the magnetic force on a conductor is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm points in the direction of the magnetic force.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic force on a conductor change?

The strength of the magnetic force on a conductor depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the conductor, and the length of the conductor. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic force.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic force on a conductor?

Magnetic force on a conductor is used in various devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains and particle accelerators. Additionally, it is an essential concept in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields, which is crucial in fields like plasma physics and astrophysics.