How Can I Improve the Design of a Lure Coursing Machine?

In summary, lure coursing involves using an electric motor and string to create a lure for dogs to chase after. Most machines are homemade and powered by 12V car batteries. However, the design has not changed since the 1970s and the speaker is looking for suggestions on how to improve it. They are considering using a BLDC motor with a digital controller and a drum to reach speeds of up to 40 mph. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using an electric winch motor with suitable gearing.
ccices
Lure coursing is where an electric motor pulls a string around a bunch of pulleys laid out in a field and dogs chase after the lure ties to the line. Most of the machines are home built with a 12 v car starter motor and solenoid and powered by car batteries. Yhis design has not seemed to change since the 70's.
I am looking for suggestions on motors and gearing to perhaps get some cheaper components together. The main thing is the motor runs for up to 10 mins at a time and numerous runs per day. The speed of the lure should be able to go up to 40 mph to keep ahead of the faster hounds. 12v car batteries or similar would be the power source as there usually isn't 120v available.
Any thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would suggest a BLDC motor with digital controller. They are variable speed, able to start from zero with no gearing needed. They can run from a 12V DC source such as a car battery.

A drum with suitable diameter driven by the motor should give you the 40 mph.

Sounds like fun.

I'm surprised that starter motors work for the job. They are designed for slow speed, very high current and short running times. They always used to use copper brushes so hardly suitable for other applications than starting car engines.
I would have thought that an electric winch motor would do the job well - with some suitable gearing to the drum that carries the line. They have all sorts of powers but https://www.red-winches.com/userfiles/downloads/153/MANUAL%20-%20OX%20MOTOR.PDF delivers 7hp - enough for your purpose, I would think.

Related to How Can I Improve the Design of a Lure Coursing Machine?

1. What is a Lure Coursing machine?

A Lure Coursing machine is a mechanical device that is used to simulate the movement of prey for dogs to chase during a Lure Coursing event. It typically consists of a motorized mechanism that moves a lure along a track at varying speeds and directions.

2. How does a Lure Coursing machine work?

A Lure Coursing machine works by using a motorized mechanism to move a lure along a track, mimicking the movement of prey. The speed and direction of the lure can be controlled by the operator. Dogs are then released to chase after the lure, providing a fun and stimulating activity for them.

3. What are the benefits of using a Lure Coursing machine?

Using a Lure Coursing machine can provide many benefits for dogs. It offers them physical exercise, mental stimulation, and an outlet for their natural chasing instincts. It can also improve their agility, speed, and overall fitness.

4. How do you design a Lure Coursing machine?

Designing a Lure Coursing machine involves understanding the mechanics of how the lure will move along the track and how it will be controlled. It also requires considering the safety of both the dogs and the operators. Factors such as the size and weight of the machine, the materials used, and the power source should also be taken into account.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a Lure Coursing machine?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a Lure Coursing machine. The track should be set up in a safe and open area, away from any potential hazards. The machine should be regularly inspected and maintained to ensure it is in good working condition. Dogs should also be supervised at all times and any aggressive or unsuitable dogs should not be allowed to participate.