How can I go from high school level to understanding advanced optics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in studying optics and their goal of understanding complex mathematical equations related to it. They mention their desire to learn about different aspects of optics such as spatial light modulators, Fourier planes, and holography. They also seek guidance on where to start their learning process.
nicetonietzche
I've long had a fascination with optics and have deicded to study it seriously. I want to go from high school level education to being able to understand ’ðs; xÞ ¼ Ai s 
x
þ iax
" #
exp as 
ax2
ix3
12 þ ia2 x
2 þ is
x

:
or something to that effect. I want to learn about spatial light modulators, Fourier planes, wave optics, holography, interference patterns, the whole works. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. Where do I start?

Science news on Phys.org
You're looking at a mathematics program.
Optics is essentially applied mathematics, as you've already discovered. The nice thing is that facility with the mathematics needed for optics is also an open sesame for electronics more generally.
Go for it and good luck!

Related to How can I go from high school level to understanding advanced optics?

1. What is the purpose of learning advanced optics?

Learning advanced optics allows scientists to understand and manipulate light in ways that are essential for many modern technologies, such as lasers, fiber optics, and advanced imaging techniques. It also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental properties of light and its interaction with matter.

2. What are some of the key concepts in advanced optics?

Some key concepts in advanced optics include wave optics, geometric optics, polarization, diffraction, and interference. These concepts help us understand how light propagates, how it interacts with different materials, and how we can manipulate it for various applications.

3. How can I apply my knowledge of advanced optics in my research?

Advanced optics has a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. Some examples include developing new imaging techniques, designing optical components for advanced technologies, and studying the behavior of light in complex systems.

4. What are some challenges I may face when learning advanced optics?

Learning advanced optics can be challenging because it requires a solid understanding of mathematics and physics concepts, as well as practical skills in experimental techniques and data analysis. It also involves complex mathematical models and abstract thinking, which may be difficult for some individuals.

5. Are there any online resources or courses available for learning advanced optics?

Yes, there are several online resources and courses available for learning advanced optics. Some universities offer online courses in this subject, and there are also many online tutorials, videos, and simulations available for self-study. Additionally, there are many textbooks and reference materials that can be accessed online or purchased in print.