How Can I Fix a White Sky in My Outdoor Landscape Photos?

In summary, "White sky help" refers to the hazy or white appearance in the sky caused by air pollution and other atmospheric conditions. This phenomenon can be caused by various factors such as dust particles, water vapor, and human activities like industrial emissions and vehicle exhaust. While the hazy appearance itself is not harmful, it can indicate poor air quality which can have negative effects on human health and the environment. The best way to prevent "white sky help" is by reducing air pollution through regulations, cleaner energy sources, and sustainable transportation. Additionally, there is evidence that this phenomenon can contribute to climate change by trapping heat in the atmosphere and through the emission of greenhouse gases.
Many time with an outdoor landscape photo my sky will be white. I'm using new panasonic lumix. Usually I keep it on iauto. High dynamic helps but sometimes it messes with colors.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have that problem a lot as well- AFAIK, the standard method to increase the sky's color saturation is to use a polarizing filter.

You can quickly try it out if you have some polarizing sunglasses (or a sheet of polaroid) lying around. I've noticed a big improvement, but have been to cheap to buy a proper filter.

But essentially the dynamic range between deepest shadow and highest light in the sky is too much for the sensor.

There are some tricks to cope with that. The simplist for a point and shoot camera -wih no controlling- is to point the camera towards a fairy bright part of scenery, push the shutter button slightly to lock the exposure settings, keep it there while recomposing the picture and push all the way to release the shutter.

Then look at the result and try again if not satisfied, (trial and error) pointing to a more or less bright part in the scene.

Edit:

Another trick, slight variation, for something close in and a bit dark, with a bright sunny sky.

1: Preselect flash - forced on.
2: Point at the sky (away from the sun) and push shutter button half.
3: recompose the picture on the subject and release the shutter full,

(the exposure settings are now right for the sky and the flash will light up the subject (again - should be close) to brighten it up.

Last edited:
Another trick: take some images of nice looking skies with pretty clouds, then use photoshop.

Even professionals sometimes own up to doing that!

Related to How Can I Fix a White Sky in My Outdoor Landscape Photos?

What is "White sky help"?

"White sky help" is a phrase used to describe the phenomenon of a white or hazy appearance in the sky, often caused by air pollution or other atmospheric conditions.

What causes "white sky help"?

There are several factors that can contribute to "white sky help", including air pollution, dust particles, water vapor, and other atmospheric conditions. In urban areas, human activities such as industrial emissions and vehicle exhaust can also contribute to the hazy appearance in the sky.

Is "white sky help" harmful?

The hazy appearance of "white sky help" itself is not harmful, but it can be an indication of poor air quality. If the air pollution levels are high, it can have negative effects on human health and the environment.

Can "white sky help" be prevented?

Reducing air pollution is the most effective way to prevent "white sky help". This can be achieved through regulations on emissions, using cleaner energy sources, and promoting sustainable transportation.

Does "white sky help" have any impact on climate change?

There is evidence that the hazy appearance of "white sky help" can contribute to climate change by trapping heat in the atmosphere. Additionally, air pollution is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, which also contribute to climate change.