How can I find these coefficients?

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for finding the coefficients of products of x raised to different powers. The method involves using recurrent formulas and identifying predictable features such as triangular numbers and factorials. However, there is no simple formula for these coefficients and repetative multiplications may be necessary.
kpkkpk
x = 1x
x(x-1) = 1x^2 - 1x
x(x-1)(x-2) = 1x^3 - 3x^2 + 2x
x(x-1)(x-2)(x-3) = 1x^4 - 6x^3 + 11x^2 - 6x
x(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)(x-4) = 1x^5 - 10x^4 + 35x^3 - 50x^2 + 24x

So, I am looking for a short method how to find these coefficients ahead of each raisings of x:

1,-1
1,-3,2
1,-6,11,-6
1,-10,35,-50,24

Is the only method just to perform repetative multiplications, or is there a time and energy saving method available?

I do can find some predictable features:
-The leftmost coefficient is always "1"
-The next coefficient comes from triangular numbers (1,3,6,10,15,21,28...that is an integer when we sum up successive positive integers; for example: 1+2+3+4+5=15) with negative sign.
- The last term is a factorial with alternate + and - sign (for example: 3 factorial = 3! = 1*2*3 = 6, 4! = 1*2*3*4 =24 etc.)
- Positive and negative coefficients in a row, when summoned up, equals to 0 (for example in the last row example: 1-10+35-50+24 = 0)

Please, help me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
kpkkpk said:
x = 1x
x(x-1) = 1x^2 - 1x

So, I am looking for a short method how to find these coefficients ahead of each raisings of x:

1,-1
1,-3,2
1,-6,11,-6
1,-10,35,-50,24

Is the only method just to perform repetative multiplications, or is there a time and energy saving method available?

-The next coefficient comes from triangular numbers (1,3,6,10,15,21,28...that is an integer when we sum up successive positive integers; for example: 1+2+3+4+5=15) with negative sign.
- The last term is a factorial with alternate + and - sign (for example: 3 factorial = 3! = 1*2*3 = 6, 4! = 1*2*3*4 =24 etc.)
- Positive and negative coefficients in a row, when summoned up, equals to 0 (for example in the last row example: 1-10+35-50+24 = 0)

Please, help me.

Hello.

I wish this small my study to could help you.

[tex]{Let }\ a_i,\ k,\ n \epsilon N[/tex]

[tex]P_k = (n-1)(n-2)\ldots (n-k)=a_kn^k-a_{k-1}n^{k-1}\ldots +(-1)^{k-1}a_1n+(-1)^ka_0[/tex]

[tex]{Properties: }[/tex]

[tex]{1) } \sum_{i=0}^{k}a_i = 0[/tex]

[tex]{ 2) } \sum_{i=0}^{k}\left\vert{a_i} \right\vert{} = (k+1)![/tex]

[tex]{ 3) }\ a_k=1[/tex]

[tex]{ 4) }\ a_0=(-1)^kk![/tex]

[tex]{ 5) }\ a_{k-1}=-k \frac{k+1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]{ 6) }\ a_{k-2}= \frac{3(k-1)^4+14(k-1)^3+21(k-1)^2+10(k-1)}{24}[/tex]

Formula of recurrence, for [tex]\ a_i[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle a_{1,k}= (-1)^{k+1}(k-1)!-a_{1, k-1}k[/tex][tex]\displaystyle a_{i,k}= a_{i-1, k-1}-a_{i, k-1}k[/tex].

Regards.

kpkkpk said:
x = 1x
x(x-1) = 1x^2 - 1x

1,-1
1,-3,2
1,-6,11,-6
1,-10,35,-50,24

Please, help me.
Hi kpkkpk and welcome to MHB! You have raised an interesting question.

The product $(x)_n = x(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)\cdots(x-n+1)$ is known as a falling factorial, and its coefficients are Stirling numbers of the first kind. They crop up in various contexts in combinatorics. There is no simple formula for them. See Stirling numbers of the first kind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Opalg said:
Hi kpkkpk and welcome to MHB! You have raised an interesting question.

The product $(x)_n = x(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)\cdots(x-n+1)$ is known as a falling factorial, and its coefficients are Stirling numbers of the first kind. They crop up in various contexts in combinatorics. There is no simple formula for them. See Stirling numbers of the first kind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Hello.(Smile)

I believe, that with my modest study, yes can calculate with facility the coefficients.

I have showed, the formulae of recurrencias for the calculation of the coefficients. I attach a file with a triangle of the above-mentioned coefficients.

Regards.

Attachments

• triangulo mente oscura.txt
    282 bytes · Views: 48
kpkkpk said:
x = 1x
x(x-1) = 1x^2 - 1x

1,-1
1,-3,2
1,-6,11,-6
1,-10,35,-50,24

Please, help me.

The polynomials You have described are known as falling polynomials and are defined as...

$\displaystyle (x)_{n} = x\ (x-1)\ ...\ (x-n+1)\ (1)$

The recursive relation is easily derivable...

$\displaystyle (x)_{n+1} = x\ (x)_{n} - n\ (x)_{n}\ (2)$

... and if You set...

$\displaystyle (x)_{n}= \sum_{k=0}^{n} c_{n,k}\ x^{k}\ (3)$

... the recursive relation (2) becomes the following relation...

$\displaystyle c_{n+1,k} = c_{n,k-1} - n\ c_{n,k},\ k=0,1,...,n+1\ (4)$

Starting from $c_{0,0}=1$ You can proceed indefinitely...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

mente oscura said:
Hello.(Smile)

I believe, that with my modest study, yes can calculate with facility the coefficients.

I have showed, the formulae of recurrencias for the calculation of the coefficients. I attach a file with a triangle of the above-mentioned coefficients.

Regards.

Yes, indeed!
It took me some time before I understood what you meant, but now things are much clearer.
If I understood correctly, from your triangle I pick two consecutive integers (their absolute values) from the same horizontal line, then I multiply the leftmost of them with vertical row number...and then I sum them up. Every other of these numbers will be attached with + and every other with - sign.
What I then have, will be added below and between those integers I started from...in the same manner as we primitively construct Pascal´s triangle?

Thanks a lot for spending so much time for my problem!

kpkkpk said:
Yes, indeed!
It took me some time before I understood what you meant, but now things are much clearer.
If I understood correctly, from your triangle I pick two consecutive integers (their absolute values) from the same horizontal line, then I multiply the leftmost of them with vertical row number...and then I sum them up. Every other of these numbers will be attached with + and every other with - sign.
What I then have, will be added below and between those integers I started from...in the same manner as we primitively construct Pascal´s triangle?

Thanks a lot for spending so much time for my problem!

Hello.

Excuse me you, but my use of the language Englishman is pathetic. You have understood my exposition, or have some doubt on him.

If you have some "problem" on the procedure, do not doubt in reguntarmelo, with very much pleasure, I will clarify it.

Regards.

Related to How can I find these coefficients?

1. How are coefficients calculated?

Coefficients are calculated using mathematical methods such as regression analysis or least squares estimation. These methods involve finding the best-fitting line or curve that represents the relationship between variables in a data set.

2. What is the purpose of finding coefficients?

The purpose of finding coefficients is to understand the relationship between variables and to make predictions based on this relationship. Coefficients can also be used to identify which variables have the greatest impact on the outcome of interest.

3. Can coefficients be negative?

Yes, coefficients can be negative. This indicates that there is a negative relationship between the variables, meaning that as one variable increases, the other decreases.

4. Are there different types of coefficients?

Yes, there are different types of coefficients depending on the type of analysis being performed. Some common types include regression coefficients, correlation coefficients, and standardized coefficients.

5. How do I interpret coefficients?

The interpretation of coefficients depends on the context and type of analysis being performed. Generally, a higher coefficient value indicates a stronger relationship between variables. It is also important to consider the direction of the coefficient (positive or negative) and the units of the variables being analyzed.