How can I find the y(x) that minimizes the functional J?

In summary, the Euler Lagrange equation is a mathematical formula used to find the extrema of a functional, named after Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange. Its purpose is to find the function or curve that minimizes or maximizes a given functional, and it is derived by setting the derivative of the functional to zero. This equation has applications in physics, economics, engineering, and the study of partial differential equations. However, it may not always give a unique solution and is limited to finding only local extrema.
muzialis
Hello there,

I am dealing with the functional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_variation)

J = integral of (y . dy/dx) dx

When trying to compute the Euler Lagrange eqaution I notice this reduces to a tautology, i.e.

dy/dx - dy/dx = 0

How could I proceed for finding the y(x) that effectively minimizes the functional?

Thank you very much

Yours

Muzialis

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to observe that the integral can be performed directly and the functional dependence is lost.

Related to How can I find the y(x) that minimizes the functional J?

1. What is the Euler Lagrange equation?

The Euler Lagrange equation is a mathematical formula used in calculus of variations to find the extrema (maximum or minimum) of a functional. It is named after mathematicians Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

2. What is the purpose of the Euler Lagrange equation?

The Euler Lagrange equation helps to find the function or curve that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. This is useful in problems where the goal is to find the "best" path or curve that satisfies certain constraints.

3. How is the Euler Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler Lagrange equation is derived by setting the derivative of the functional with respect to the unknown function to zero. This creates an equation that must be satisfied by the unknown function in order for it to be an extremum of the functional.

4. What are some applications of the Euler Lagrange equation?

The Euler Lagrange equation has applications in physics, such as in the principle of least action in classical mechanics, and in optimization problems in economics and engineering. It is also used in the study of partial differential equations and in the calculus of variations.

5. Are there any limitations to the Euler Lagrange equation?

While the Euler Lagrange equation is a powerful tool in finding extrema of functionals, it does have some limitations. It may not always give a unique solution, and it may not be applicable in cases where the functional is not differentiable. It is also limited to finding only local extrema.