How can I find the domain and radius of the level curves for a given function?

• Thread starter jeffreylze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the homework statement is that z=f(x,y)= -\sqrt{9-2x^2-y^2} and Sketch the level curves for f(x,y).
jeffreylze

Homework Statement

z=f(x,y)= -[tex]\sqrt{9-2x^2-y^2}[/tex]

Sketch the level curves for f(x,y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really poor at this. I let z = c (a constant) . Substituting c into the equation and rearranging it, I got this 9-c[tex]^{2}[/tex]=2x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]

From this, I know i will get a ellipse. But I am stuck here. How do I find the domain for c and the radius? Some hints will be helpful. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jeffreylze! :smile:
jeffreylze said:
Sketch the level curves for f(x,y)

I let z = c (a constant) . Substituting c into the equation and rearranging it, I got this 9-c[tex]^{2}[/tex]=2x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]

From this, I know i will get a ellipse. But I am stuck here. How do I find the domain for c and the radius?

Hint: first, put 9 - c2 = a, so it's 2x2 + y2 = a …

i] what values can a have?

ii] yes, it's an ellipse, and obviously its centre is at the origin, so just find the points where it intersects the x and y axes. :smile:

i) Since ellipse has a general equation, (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, hence the a you were referring to would have the values >= 0 ? I don't know, I am quite confused.

No, a2 must be non-negative but a itself can be any (non-zero) number. Bacause of the symmetry, it really doesn't matter.

Hence, 9-c^2 >= 0 ?

jeffreylze said:
Hence, 9-c^2 >= 0 ?

Nooo … 9 - c2 = a,

and the only restriction is that c2 ≥ 0 …

so a … ? :smile:

so a[tex]\leq[/tex]9 ? Am i right this time?

jeffreylze said:
so a[tex]\leq[/tex]9 ? Am i right this time?

Yup! :biggrin:

oops … sorry … i forgot what this was all about :redface: … i forgot about the √(9 - 2x2 + y2), so your first answer, a ≥ 0, is also correct: 0 ≤ a ≤ 9.

And now … find the points where it intersects the x and y axes. :smile:

but the i still couldn't get the answer -3 ≤ c ≤ 0. This is what i did, for 0 ≤ a ≤ 9, I subbed a= 9 - c^2 into it to get 0 ≤ 9 - c^2 ≤ 9 , rearranged and i got 0≤|c|≤3 . Where did i go wrong?

jeffreylze said:
I let z = c (a constant) . Substituting c into the equation and rearranging it, I got this 9-c[tex]^{2}[/tex]=2x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]
jeffreylze said:
but the i still couldn't get the answer -3 ≤ c ≤ 0. This is what i did, for 0 ≤ a ≤ 9, I subbed a= 9 - c^2 into it to get 0 ≤ 9 - c^2 ≤ 9 , rearranged and i got 0≤|c|≤3 . Where did i go wrong?

Well, basically, you're right,

but you dropped a condition when you started to use c2 instead of c …

when you go back from c2 to c, you have to remember that c to c2 is single-valued, but c2 to c is double-valued, and you have to select the right square-root (of c2) …

in this case, the original equation for f specified the negative square-root …

so you combine the condition c ≤ 0 with your result 0≤|c|≤3 to give …

da-daa! … -3 ≤ c ≤ 0. :smile:

(actually, it would have been a lot quicker, and just as accurate, to say, just by looking, that the square-root of nine-minus-something-positive must be between 0 and 3 :wink:)

Related to How can I find the domain and radius of the level curves for a given function?

1. What are level curves in sketching?

Level curves are a type of contour line that represents points on a surface with the same value. In other words, they connect points with equal elevation or magnitude.

2. How are level curves useful in scientific research?

Level curves are useful in visualizing and analyzing data in various fields such as geography, physics, and mathematics. They can help identify patterns, trends, and relationships in the data.

3. What are the steps to sketch level curves?

The steps to sketch level curves include choosing a variable to represent on the x and y-axis, selecting a range of values for the variable, determining the increments for each value, and plotting the points on a graph to connect them with a smooth curve.

4. Can level curves be used for three-dimensional surfaces?

Yes, level curves can also be used for three-dimensional surfaces. In this case, the curves represent points with the same value on the z-axis.

5. Are there any limitations to using level curves?

Level curves may not accurately represent the entire surface and may not show the complete picture of the data. They also may not be suitable for complex or irregular surfaces.