How can I evaluate the indefinite integral of dx/x^2*sqrt(4-x^2)?

In summary: I find this trig function?Trigonometric functions are usually found in textbooks or online calculators.
nlsherrill

Homework Statement

The problem reads(from the 4th edition of Stewart Calculus "Concepts and Contexts" pg. 394 #17):

Evaluate the integral.

the indefinite integral of dx/x^2*sqrt(4-x^2)

so this would read out as "the indefinite integral of dx over x squared times the square root of 4 minus x squared"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything I know. I have been stuck on this problem for over 2 hours now and I just can't see what to do. The back of the book says the answer is

-sqrt(4-x^2)/4x

the frustrating thing is that using substitution I am getting to -sqrt(4-x^2)/x so I feel like I'm pretty close, or just have some careless mistake somewhere I am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a trig substitution x=2sint

rock.freak667 said:
Try a trig substitution x=2sint

I did already... but I guess I did it wrong.

After the substitution I get to 1/4*integral sin^2t then do I go to the half-angle formula for sin^2t? By doing that I get 1/4*integral(1/2)(1-cos2t), then integrate to get 1/8*(t-.5sin2t).

after that I solved for t using the trig substitution above to get t=arcsin(x/2). I then plug that into 1/8*(t-.5sin2t) to get 1/8*(arcsin(x/2)-.5sin2(arcsin(x/2), which I know is not right :/.

To do the integral of 1/sin(t)^2 you are making it harder than it needs to be. You don't need any half angle formulas. What's the derivative of cot(t)? BTW write something like what you mean as 1/(4*sin^2(t)). Using parentheses will save you spelling it out in words.

Last edited:
Dick said:
To do the integral of 1/sin(t)^2 you are making it harder than it needs to be. You don't need any half angle formulas. What's the derivative of cot(t)? BTW write something like what you mean as 1/(4*sin^2(t)). Using parentheses will save you spelling it out in words.

well I see that 1/sin(t)^2 =csc(t)^2, and the antiderivative of that is -cot(t)+c so i get all the way too

-1/4*cot(t) where t=arcsin(x/2). Am I on the right track?

If you can figure out why -1/4*cot(t) where t=arcsin(x/2) gives you -sqrt(4-x^2)/(4x) then you are all the way there. Yes, you are on the right track.

Last edited:
Dick said:
If you can figure out why -1/4*cot(t) where t=arcsin(x/2) gives you -sqrt(4-x^2)/4x then you are all the way there. Yes, you are on the right track.

alright thanks a lot. Its really late and I'd rather not spend 2 more hours stuck doing the wrong thing. Your(and others) assistance is much appreciated.

nlsherrill said:
alright thanks a lot. Its really late and I'd rather not spend 2 more hours stuck doing the wrong thing. Your(and others) assistance is much appreciated.

You aren't doing the wrong thing! Probably wouldn't take 2 hours to figure out why cot(arcsin(x/2))=sqrt(1-x^2/4)/(x/2) but you are probably right. It will take you even less time in the morning.

Dick said:
You aren't doing the wrong thing! Probably wouldn't take 2 hours to figure out why cot(arcsin(x/2))=sqrt(1-x^2/4)/(x/2) but you are probably right. It will take you even less time in the morning.

haha I know I'm not doing the wrong thing. I guess I meant to say I am glad you told me I was on the right track because I wouldn't want to spend more time on this question tonight. 6 a.m. is calling my name for some calculus.

nlsherrill said:
haha I know I'm not doing the wrong thing. I guess I meant to say I am glad you told me I was on the right track because I wouldn't want to spend more time on this question tonight. 6 a.m. is calling my name for some calculus.

Sleep agreeably knowing you'll get it the first thing tomorrow. You are SO CLOSE. Nite.

Firstly it would be a whole lot easier to read if you wrote it in Latex like this:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2 \cdot \sqrt{4-x^2}}[/tex]

And I can give you the hint that in the chapter dealing with these types of integrals there is a hint on howto solve this integral!

Last edited:
Susanne217 said:
Firstly it would be a whole lot easier to read if you wrote it in Latex like this:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2 \cdot \sqrt{4-x^2}}[/tex]

And I can give you the hint that in the chapter dealing with these types of integrals there is a hint on howto solve this integral!

Cool! Where's the 'hint' located in the chapter?

Yes I can see that Latex is much easier to read. I guess I'll work on learning to use Latex.

Here is an alternative:
[tex]
\int\frac{dx}{x^{2}\sqrt{4-x^{2}}}
[/tex]
Use [tex]x=2\cos u[/tex] to transform the integral to:
[tex]
-\frac{1}{4}\int\frac{du}{\cos^{2}u}=-\frac{1}{4}\int \sec^{2}udu
[/tex]
What well known function has derivative sec^{2}x?
when you see a factor of [tex]\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}[/tex] your first thought should be trig substitution.

Related to How can I evaluate the indefinite integral of dx/x^2*sqrt(4-x^2)?

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is used to find the original function when only its derivative is known.

Why is it important to know how to solve indefinite integrals?

Indefinite integrals are essential in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to solve problems involving rates of change, motion, and optimization.

How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you need to use the reverse of the power rule, also known as the integration rule. This involves adding one to the power of the variable and dividing by the new power.

What is the difference between an indefinite integral and a definite integral?

An indefinite integral represents a family of functions, while a definite integral gives a single numerical value. In other words, a definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not.

What are some common techniques for solving indefinite integrals?

Some common techniques for solving indefinite integrals include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These methods help to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.