How can I design a survey to study word associations with birds?

In summary: Third, you need to be familiar with different types of surveys.Fourth, make sure that the questions you ask are worded in a way that will allow you to get the data you want.Fifth, make sure that the way you collect and analyze the data is valid.Sixth, make sure you account for all the potential confounding factors.Last, don't forget to write up your results and share them with people.In summary, to do a sound survey, you need to understand why you're doing it, what you're modeling, what type of survey you're doing, how to ask questions that will get the data you want, and how to analyze the data.
CleffedUp
Hi all, I was wondering if you social science types have a particular canon or other good reference for sound survey design, i.e. minimizing confounding factors. Good sources on experimental design, in general, are also welcome.

I'd rather learn to fish than just have takeout, but the survey I have in mind is one of association. Let's say I want to study the words people associate with birds. I'm especially interested in how many people associate "yellow," "bill," "rubber," and "squeaky" with the word "duck" as well as "roast," "fried," and "cluck" with the word "chicken."

I might present a really long checklist with control words, I might present a long or short randomized subset of the checklist, or there might be a better approach entirely -- I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
CleffedUp said:
Hi all, I was wondering if you social science types have a particular canon or other good reference for sound survey design, i.e. minimizing confounding factors. Good sources on experimental design, in general, are also welcome.

I'd rather learn to fish than just have takeout, but the survey I have in mind is one of association. Let's say I want to study the words people associate with birds. I'm especially interested in how many people associate "yellow," "bill," "rubber," and "squeaky" with the word "duck" as well as "roast," "fried," and "cluck" with the word "chicken."

I might present a really long checklist with control words, I might present a long or short randomized subset of the checklist, or there might be a better approach entirely -- I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks for your time.

If you are interested in trait ratings, look into the experiments done by:

Asch (1946); Wishner (1960); Rosenberg & All (1968); Rosenberg & Sedlak (1972).

Those experiments have been done to get trait ratings for the description of other humans not animals, but probably they'll put you on the right track.

CleffedUp said:

Thanks for your time.

First, don't call people "types" because it sounds condescending.

Second, the thing that will help you do good research is to understand what you're modeling and why.

You have to know WHY you want to know how many people associate certain words with others. Once you know why you want to know, then you can come up with a model that addresses your real question.

Related to How can I design a survey to study word associations with birds?

1. What is an association survey design?

An association survey design is a type of research methodology used to explore the relationship between two or more variables. It involves collecting data from a sample of individuals or groups and analyzing the data to determine if there is a significant association between the variables of interest.

2. Why is association survey design important?

Association survey design is important because it allows researchers to investigate potential cause-and-effect relationships between variables. By identifying significant associations, researchers can gain a better understanding of the factors that may influence a particular outcome or behavior.

3. How is an association survey design conducted?

An association survey design typically involves selecting a sample of participants, administering a survey or questionnaire to gather data on the variables of interest, and then analyzing the data using statistical methods. The survey may include questions about demographic information, attitudes, behaviors, or other factors that are thought to be related to the variables being studied.

4. What are some common challenges in association survey design?

There are several common challenges in association survey design, including selection bias (when the sample is not representative of the population), response bias (when participants give inaccurate or dishonest answers), and confounding variables (when other factors may be influencing the relationship between variables). It is important for researchers to carefully consider and address these potential issues when designing and conducting an association survey.

5. How can the results of an association survey design be used?

The results of an association survey design can be used to inform decision-making in various fields, such as public policy, healthcare, and marketing. They can also be used to generate hypotheses for further research or to identify areas for intervention or improvement. However, it is important to remember that correlation does not necessarily imply causation, and further research may be needed to establish a causal relationship between variables.