How can I design a reliable slewing bearing for a VAWT yaw control system?

In summary, to design a slewing bearing for a yaw control system for a VAWT turbine, you will need to consider the range of forces that will need to be supported in radial, axial, and tilting directions. Spherical bearings are commonly used for this type of application and their selection will depend on the specific needs of the system. They are often used in situations where some misalignment is unavoidable or where the geometry requires it, such as in control rods or helicopter swash plates.
CloDawg
I'm building a yaw control system for one of the universitys VAWT turbines.

I need to design a slewing bearing which can reliably support radial, axial and tilting moments. I have absolutely no idea how to do this or even where to start.

Could you please give me some advice as to go about solving this problem

Engineering news on Phys.org
So-called 'spherical bearings' are used for this type of application. Finding a specific bearing to suit this really depends on the range of forces you need to support in each direction. Typically spherical bearings are used where some misalignment is unavoidable and needs to be compensated for / worked around, or where the geometry requires it, such as in the 'ball ends' of control rods, or the swash plates in helicopters.

Related to How can I design a reliable slewing bearing for a VAWT yaw control system?

1. What is a wind turbine slewing bearing?

A wind turbine slewing bearing is a large, circular bearing that enables the rotation of the wind turbine blades. It is a crucial component of the wind turbine, as it allows the blades to rotate smoothly and efficiently to capture wind energy.

2. How does a wind turbine slewing bearing work?

The slewing bearing is typically located at the top of the wind turbine tower and connects the tower to the nacelle (the housing for the turbine's generator and other components). As the wind blows, the blades and the nacelle rotate on the slewing bearing, allowing the turbine to face the wind and generate electricity.

3. What materials are used to make wind turbine slewing bearings?

Wind turbine slewing bearings are typically made from high-strength steel, such as chromium-molybdenum steel, to withstand the heavy loads and harsh environmental conditions of wind turbines. They may also be coated with anti-corrosion materials to increase their lifespan.

4. How often do wind turbine slewing bearings need to be replaced?

The lifespan of a wind turbine slewing bearing can vary depending on factors such as the type of bearing, the size of the wind turbine, and the operating conditions. Generally, they can last for 20-25 years with proper maintenance, but may need to be replaced sooner in cases of extreme wear or damage.

5. What are the maintenance requirements for wind turbine slewing bearings?

Regular maintenance is essential to ensure the proper functioning of wind turbine slewing bearings. This includes lubrication, inspection for wear and damage, and replacement if necessary. It is also important to monitor the surrounding environment for potential causes of damage, such as dust or debris, and take preventive measures as needed.