How can I delete my account?

• Thread starter physics_rino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user wanting to delete their account on the forum and the moderators explaining that they do not delete accounts but offer the option to delete personal data. The user expresses frustration and threatens a lawsuit, while the moderators try to reason with them and provide assistance. The conversation ends with the user being banned from the forum.
physics_rino
please and thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
physics_rino said:
please and thank you
Sorry, to see you leave. You can't remove your account. We normally don't eliminate accounts because it would damage the readability of existing threads, and there is no need to do so. You can simply stop posting. Moreover, I gives you a chance to come back if you want to.

Are you kidding me? this must be a freaking joke! What kind of half-assed website do you run?

physics_rino said:
Are you kidding me? this must be a freaking joke! What kind of half-assed website do you run?
ORDER! The answer to your deletion statement is clearly stated in the terms and rules

StevieTNZ said:
ORDER! The answer to your deletion statement is clearly stated in the terms and rules

hahaha right! If there is something missing in this forum is order!

And since we are at it. There are no terms and rules. There is barely a section called "Physics Forums Global Guidelines" (Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/) and even those seemed written by a kid. They are hardly enforceable!

You need to provide users an option to delete their account! Don't be surprised if you get a lawsuit in the mail...

Likes hanntigger1
physics_rino said:
You need to provide users an option to delete their account!
We provide an option to delete all personal data, including changing the username. That does not include deleting the whole account.
physics_rino said:
They are hardly enforceable!
There is nothing to enforce. You ask the forum owner (@Greg Bernhardt) for a service. He can say yes, or he can say no.What is the purpose of all that? No one would ever have cared about your account if you wouldn't have made such a stir here. Now your account gets much more attention.

Out of morbid interest, what is it you want to achieve that you're willing to spend money on a lawsuit? To stop yourself from logging in? To delete one "hi" post and one thread about a rotating rod and this thread?

Likes berkeman and Charles Link
physics_rino said:
hahaha right! If there is something missing in this forum is order!

And since we are at it. There are no terms and rules. There is barely a section called "Physics Forums Global Guidelines" (Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/) and even those seemed written by a kid. They are hardly enforceable!

You need to provide users an option to delete their account! Don't be surprised if you get a lawsuit in the mail...
@physics_rino I would be glad to put in my 2 cents in any "lawsuit". If you would remain on the website, I think you might find it to give you considerable healthy interaction and discussion. The people who run this website deserve far better than that kind of input.

Ibix said:
To delete one "hi" post and one thread about a rotating rod and this thread?
Yeah, and he got very good help in the Homework thread. I wonder if he found out he wasn't supposed to get Internet help on it, and wants the account deleted hoping that the post will go away...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rotating-rod.896572/

mfb said:
We provide an option to delete all personal data, including changing the username. That does not include deleting the whole account.There is nothing to enforce. You ask the forum owner (@Greg Bernhardt) for a service. He can say yes, or he can say no.What is the purpose of all that? No one would ever have cared about your account if you wouldn't have made such a stir here. Now your account gets much more attention.

You seem to miss the point. But let me explain it to you in a more clear manner. I do not care about attention. Those are your words. It is unheard of that any respectable forum does not allow the option to delete any account. It seems that physicsforum and its moderators are just trying to inflate their user numbers...that's quite deceiving!

Ibix said:
Out of morbid interest, what is it you want to achieve that you're willing to spend money on a lawsuit? To stop yourself from logging in? To delete one "hi" post and one thread about a rotating rod and this thread?

I want the freedom to delete my account. How much I have done with it or not it's my and only my business. How many years do I need to invest in an account in order to be able to voice an opinion here? Please tell me

Charles Link said:
@physics_rino I would be glad to put in my 2 cents in any "lawsuit". If you would remain on the website, I think you might find it to give you considerable healthy interaction and discussion. The people who run this website deserve far better than that kind of input.

They are getting the same input as the output they are providing with their "guidelines". I'll repeat what I said before "It is unheard of that any respectable forum does not allow the option to delete any account. It seems that physicsforum and its moderators are just trying to inflate their user numbers...that's quite deceiving!"Just take a minute and think about it

berkeman said:
I wonder if he found out he wasn't supposed to get Internet help on it, and wants the account deleted hoping that the post will go away...
The thought did occur to me. But if he thinks a court case will be resolved before the problem sheet deadline, he's got another think coming.

Likes member 587159, Comeback City and russ_watters
berkeman said:
Yeah, and he got very good help in the Homework thread. I wonder if he found out he wasn't supposed to get Internet help on it, and wants the account deleted hoping that the post will go away...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rotating-rod.896572/

Help? what help? that was useless. as is this forum

Likes hanntigger1
physics_rino said:
Help? what help? that was useless. as is this forum
In that case, this thread is done. I'll go ahead and ban you, that should help you resist the urge to come back and post. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Likes member 587159, Comeback City, russ_watters and 2 others

Related to How can I delete my account?

1. How can I delete my account?

To delete your account, you will need to log into your account and navigate to the "settings" or "account" section. From there, you should see an option to delete your account. Follow the prompts to confirm the deletion.

2. Will deleting my account also delete all of my data?

Yes, deleting your account will also delete all of your data associated with that account. This includes any saved information, preferences, and history.

3. Can I recover my account after deletion?

In most cases, once an account is deleted it cannot be recovered. It is important to carefully consider if you truly want to delete your account before proceeding.

4. Are there any alternatives to deleting my account?

Depending on the platform or service, there may be alternatives to deleting your account. These could include deactivating your account, which temporarily removes your profile from public view, or simply unsubscribing from emails or notifications.

5. How long does it take for my account to be fully deleted?

The time it takes for your account to be fully deleted may vary depending on the platform or service. Some may have a waiting period before the account is permanently deleted, while others may delete the account immediately. It is best to check the terms of service or contact customer support for more information.