How Can I Create a Mobius Transformation?

In summary, to make a Möbius transformation, you first need to define a transformation in terms of the variables a, b, c, and d, using the values of f(0), f(1), and f(-1). Then, you can use this transformation to find the inverse of f(w) by solving a system of equations. Alternatively, you can use the formula (w-w1)(w2-w3)/(w-w3)(w2-w1) = (z-z1)(z2-z3)/(z-z3)(z2-z1) to find the inverse transformation, with the values of w1, w2, w3, z1, z2, and z3.
Stephen88
I want to understand how to make a Mobius Transformation.If someone can help me with an example that will be great.
Let's say we have f(0) = i, f(1) = 1, f(−1) = −1 for instance ...how should I proceed in finding one?Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Write $f(z)=\dfrac{az+b}{cz+d}$ , then $f(0)=i\Leftrightarrow b=di\;,\;\ldots$ etc , and solve the system on the unknowns $a,b,c,d$ .

I saw an example f(z)=(z-z1)(z2-z3)/(z-z3)(z2-z1)...and I've used that and I got 2z/(z+1) and for f(w) I got 2(w-i)/(w+1)(1-i)...then by computing f(z) o f^(-1)(w)=mobius transformation...but I don't know how to get f^(-1)(w).

StefanM said:
I saw an example f(z)=(z-z1)(z2-z3)/(z-z3)(z2-z1)...and I've used that and I got 2z/(z+1) and for f(w) I got 2(w-i)/(w+1)(1-i)...then by computing f(z) o f^(-1)(w)=mobius transformation...but I don't know how to get f^(-1)(w).

If you prefer this method, the result is: there exists a Möbius transformation $w$ such that $w(z_1)=w_1,w(z_2)=w_2,w(z_3)=w_3$ . This transformation is defined by $\dfrac{(w-w_1)(w_2-w_3)}{(w-w_3)(w_2-w_1)}=\dfrac{(z-z_1)(z_2-z_3)}{(z-z_3)(z_2-z_1)}$ . As you say, $\dfrac{2(w-i)}{(w+1)(1-i)}=\dfrac{2z}{z+1}$ . Now, you can easily express $w=\ldots$ as a function of $z$ .

A Mobius transformation is a type of transformation in mathematics that maps a complex plane onto itself. It is defined by the formula f(z) = (az + b) / (cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and z is a complex variable. This transformation is also known as a linear fractional transformation.

To understand how to make a Mobius transformation, it is important to first understand its properties. One of the key properties of a Mobius transformation is that it preserves circles. This means that if a circle is mapped onto the complex plane using a Mobius transformation, the resulting image will also be a circle.

To find a specific example of a Mobius transformation, we can use the given conditions f(0) = i, f(1) = 1, f(-1) = -1. These conditions can be represented as three equations:

(i) a(0) + b = i
(ii) a(1) + b = 1
(iii) a(-1) + b = -1

Solving these equations simultaneously, we get a = 1, b = i. Substituting these values into the formula for a Mobius transformation, we get:

f(z) = (z + i) / (z + 1)

This is an example of a Mobius transformation that satisfies the given conditions. You can verify this by plugging in different values for z and observing the resulting transformation.

In general, to find a Mobius transformation that satisfies certain conditions, you can follow a similar approach by setting up equations and solving for the unknown variables. It is also helpful to keep in mind the key properties of Mobius transformations, such as preserving circles and having a linear fractional form. Additionally, there are many online resources and software programs available that can help you generate and visualize Mobius transformations. I hope this helps you understand how to make a Mobius transformation.

Related to How Can I Create a Mobius Transformation?

1. What is a Mobius transformation?

A Mobius transformation, also known as a linear fractional transformation, is a mathematical function that maps points from one complex plane to another. It is a special type of function that is defined by a ratio of linear expressions.

2. What are the properties of Mobius transformations?

Mobius transformations have several important properties, including being conformal, meaning they preserve angles and shapes; being bijective, meaning they have a unique inverse; and being able to map circles to circles or lines.

3. How are Mobius transformations used in mathematics?

Mobius transformations have many applications in mathematics, including in complex analysis, geometry, and topology. They are also used in computer graphics, physics, and engineering for their ability to transform shapes and surfaces.

4. Can Mobius transformations be visualized?

Yes, Mobius transformations can be visualized using the complex plane. Each point on the complex plane corresponds to a point in the transformed plane, allowing for a visual representation of the mapping.

5. Are there any real-life examples of Mobius transformations?

Yes, Mobius transformations can be found in various real-life scenarios, such as in the design of optical lenses, the analysis of fluid dynamics, and the study of fractals. They are also used in the creation of special effects in movies and video games.